Lighest disc brakes available?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hi Guys,

since i know alot of you are knowing your components and are up to date.
I would like to ask you, what is currently the lightest disc brakes?

Complete brakes (all incl) brake hoses and brake juice excluded.
Lightest and best (lighest) rotors (140 and 160mm)

My complete revised and updated EE come in at 200 grams flat with pads and cable adjuster.
Excl wires and housing.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Odd question since your brake choice (and subsequent weight differences) is going to be determined by your choice of drivetrain. Hope RX4s are available for both Shimano and SRAM, and flat-mount RX4s are lighter than SRAM Red/eTap HRD calipers with 160mm adapters.

I supposed various cable options exist. I think the lightest and among the most functional mechanical disc calipers are TRP Spyre SLCs, but really you shouldn't be using mech disc brakes unless you are reusing old levers or building a travel/touring bike.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:45 am
Odd question since if your brake choice (and subsequent weight differences) is going to be determined by your choice of drivetrain
Second this, like all things integrated there's not much opportunity for mix-matching. I had the following combo as an upgrade planned out, until 2x Xshifter got discontinued:

ST-R9170 320
XSHIFTER DUAL 140
XREMOTE ROAD (tuned to fit levers) 25
Bottom cable housings 10
Powercordz 5
Sram RED (heavily tuned) 125
DIY Cable stops 10

The saving should have been ~200g compared to my current setup, and it would allow to use the lightest RD/FD/levers too. For comparison, a simple swap to ST-R9120 and Powercordz would yield ~140g, which I plan to do. At best, we'd see boutique Di2-compatible brake levers, but I already asked Trickstuff and they said not to expect anything from them. There's also discontinued Formula RR1 levers that were supposedly quite lightweight and the Rotor Uno, but is has poor reviews. Maybe 1x Xshifter, ST-R9170 or other electric/brake only levers and a 3T 1x cassette would be competitive weight-wise? You can also go full hillclimb mode and pair Magura RT8 levers (200g a pair) with Hylix bullhorn (165g). Or put some Piccolas on a drop bar and ride drops/tops without hoods position. Tons of options to explore.

ooo

by ooo

Trp hylix Etap

https://m.facebook.com/TRPcycling/posts ... 4234938265

Trp hylix di2

https://www.trpcycling.com/product/hele ... apter-kit/

Di2 mechanical disc with alloy(link) housing:

St-s705-r (di2+brake) + st-s705-l (brake lever 146g only) + 1x or synchroshift 2x

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 3&t=141369
'