Di2 Bluetooth connectivity issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Hello all

I am trying to pair my di2 system to my phone in order to update the firmware on the junction box. My phone will recognize and pair to the junction box as a generic device but when I open the etube app it just times out and will not recognize anything. I'm on a Google pixel 2 has anyone experienced an issue like this and been able to resolve it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cwcheung

by cwcheung

DO NOT use your phone bluetooth to pair the di2, remove the device first and follow the e-tube app instructions.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

You have to use the phone app to update the Bluetooth compatible junction boxes. I ended up figuring it out, for some stupid reason for have to turn on gps/location services for it to work.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

BLE and location services are tied together since version 6 of android for all devices. It's considered intended behaviour by google and will be mandatory since that version with lots of straw man arguements.

I've gone so far as to setup mock location apps to ensure that these companies aren't accessing your location data because once they have BLE they can do it without you knowing. It's great.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

kwakekeham wrote:BLE and location services are tied together since version 6 of android for all devices. It's considered intended behaviour by google and will be mandatory since that version with lots of straw man arguements.

I've gone so far as to setup mock location apps to ensure that these companies aren't accessing your location data because once they have BLE they can do it without you knowing. It's great.
Ah okay good to know, the thing that really threw me for a loop is that the app doesn't prompt you to turn on location.