Nitrogen vs. Nitrogen Pro vs. Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Usually when a manufacturer sells an aero frame there is infinite brag about being faster this and that way. This is advertised differently isn't it?

Maybe it's not as much optimized for speed but for people that need a relaxed fit. "semi-aero" perhaps. Possibly for people with fit issues or injuries.

If you are healthy and desire to save seconds then this may not be what you want.

Depends on how you are going to use the bike. I think it's possible to adjust the fit on most frames to be fast on rides with the guys, given you have a training plan. For that you do not need worry.

A racing environment is much more extreme and there are many details that add up to a good finishing time or position. Dura-ace or ultegra is not so important, 6kg or 7kg not so important. It's all about saving watts, training and riding strategy. :D

Maybe something like a used cervelo S5 frame would be a good buy if you intend to race. Then you won't give up keeping up with someone on a madone because you think they have an aero advantage. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lugan

by Lugan

I have a Nitrogen Pro, have a few thousand miles on it, and love it. I have another post here on WW with my initial review of it from ~2 years ago. It's objectively faster than other non-aero drop bar bikes I ride or have ridden in the past. If you are strong and ride in an aero body position, this bike will save you watts and make your fast rides faster. If you are slow, it won't make a difference. Handling is superb on high speed descents and hard corners, though its more of a stable geometry (slightly lower BB, slightly slacker head tube) than a twitchy crit bike. It's stiff and responsive in sprints, and feels noticeably stiff at the head tube and BB. It's comfortable enough for me, but I am not picky about comfort. My build probably helps comfort because I use Hed Jet 6 Black clinchers which plump my GP 4000S 23c tires to 26mm wide. I have ridden a few 100+ mile rides and numerous long weekends of back-to-back long rides, and its fine. Braking is excellent and those brakes are also easy to keep adjusted an otherwise maintain. If I could improve one thing, it would be to add a little more space for bigger wheels and tires in order to enable more choices from the current crop of ever-widening wheels and tires on the market now. Let me know if you have other questions.

Zorka

by Zorka

alcatraz: You think Nitrogen Pro is not such aero as other aero bikes? I had a feeling it was, because of tube profiles, hidden brakes which look to my eyes more aero than Aeroad, S5 or Colnago Concept so please explain why you think S5 or Madone has an aero advantage. I am not expert, but I don´t see many differences when talking about aerodynamics, maybe I´m wrong :)
I feel healthy and flexible, but need good climbing bike too, so BB stiffness and light frame is neccessary.

Lugan: I´ve read your review. Could you compare bb stiffness and aero advantages to any other aero road bike? Brakes are comparable to Dura Ace direct mounts in stopping power?
And one more question, did you weigh your frame before build?
Thanks.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You could be right. I think you should probably get this bike.

Just want to say that there are watts to be saved by choosing a lower drag component over lightweight.

I had to build two bikes to satisfy my heart in both disciplines. It's so easy to get stuck between two choices otherwise and end up with a bike that is neither super aero or super light, you know what I mean.

Before buying just make clear what the bike is meant to do. It's harder to optimize if it's "maybe a little bit of this" "maybe a little bit of that". :)

Zorka

by Zorka

I understand. Of course I don´t want to make mistake and build a bike that will not be fully aero nor lightweight.
No doubt it is best to have two bikes on both disciplines. It is not a problem to build 6kg climbing bike and on the other side pure aero watt saving machine, without bothering about weight.
But if you´re building one bike, you´re going to make at least little compromises.

But my priority is to buy full aero machine that is as light as possible. Stiffness is essential of course.

Lugan

by Lugan

Zorka wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:35 pm
Lugan: I´ve read your review. Could you compare bb stiffness and aero advantages to any other aero road bike? Brakes are comparable to Dura Ace direct mounts in stopping power? And one more question, did you weigh your frame before build?
Sorry, I have no other aero bike comparison; just comparison of BB and front end stiffness to several other bikes, and the Nitrogen Pro is top of the list. I also did not weight the frameset. And I can compare braking to the standard DA 9000 calipers, not direct mount, and honestly the Nitrogen Pro v-brakes feel remarkably similar in terms of stiffness and modulation.

Having said all of that, this frame design is 3 or 4 years old. If I were in the market today for a truly aero bike with excellent handling characteristics, I'd certainly look at the newer crop of aero bikes just released recently, including the C'dale, BMC, Nitrogen Pro disc, Cervelo S5/S3, etc. But do I gather that you aren't open to a disc brake bike?

Zorka

by Zorka

Thanks Lugan, if I may ask which bikes are in comparision?

I know it is not modern disc brake frame and it is few years old(Aeroad too), but I really don´t want/need disc brake road frame. Except of braking performance I don´t see real advantages. They are heavier, less aero and less charming(but it may be only my view).
I will wait few years until road frames will improve in this terms, and I am sure they will. During that time I will be more than happy with light, nice, rim brake aero frame :)

Zorka

by Zorka

I checked bellatisport and after that, merlincycles price doesn´t look like a bargain any more :)
https://www.bellatisport.com/shop/produ ... _Disc.html brand new 2019 Nitrogen for less than £1600... Great price considering there is no ,,Pro´´ version next year.
Pity there there is no rim brake version anymore..