S works tarmac sl5 shoot some weight saves

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

hi ,
i'm owning a s works tarmac sl5 that i build myself , i already did cut some weight of but i want it to reach the 6.8kg , i'm now at 7.1kg and this is the setup.
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
the parts that are on my bike now are
frame : s works tarmac sl5
groupset : r8050 di2 ultegra
stem : zipp service course sl 125gr
handlebar : vision metron 4d 242 gr
bartape : lizard skins 2.5 mm
garmin holder : k edge
bottle cages : elite vico carbon 20 gr each
seatpost : s works 206gr
saddle : prologo zero II pas 240gr
wheels : vision tc 24
pedals : ultegra 6800

shoot me some upgrades that dont cost a fortune but can help me to get the 6.8kg :D
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

What tyres are on?
I´d consider Time pedals, carbon saddle and lighter carbon seatpost(cheap and good one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UD-ligh ... 3c00JL8oKU )

Sram Red groupset will do that...or maybe a frameset change? :-)
Last edited by Roadrocket on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Custom integrated saddle/post combo from Berk and you’re at 6.8kg for less than 500€

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Assume you already cut your extra seat post length (if any)? Aside from that, nothing's free.

First place is tyres: gatorskin is 240g each and rolls poorly. Going with GP 4000SII will save 60g for both tyres, for not much money and make you faster on a flat. I could not peek inside the tyre, but some lightweight tubes might offer another 40-50g of weight savings, and are cheap as hell. Alternatively, if the wheels are tubeless ready, go tubeless - for a similar aggregate weigh saving, and even better rolling resistance with something like Hutchison Galactic TLRs 11 Storm.

Saddle is probably next. Berk will save you c.145-150 grams. Not cheap, but not cost-prohibitive either. Bontrager XXX is pricier but similarly featherweight.

Smaller stuff: you can get lighter bottle cages at sub 15g each, and titanium fixing bolts for another 5g or so. This almost free, but will be unlikely to save more than 10-15g in total.

I think all that can already get you to c. 6.8kgs total. If you are looking for more - probably look at pedals. This is poor bang for the buck, but probably 50g of savings to be found in total, at varying amounts of expense.

Next time you replace cables, I'd look to some lighter weight options (savings aren't much, really). And next time you replace the chain, use DA, rather than ultegra - it's a teeny bit lighter for a teeny bit more. Cassette has more weight savings on offer but at a steep premium.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:21 pm
What tyres are on?
I´d consider Time pedals, carbon saddle and lighter carbon seatpost(cheap and good one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/UD-ligh ... 3c00JL8oKU )

tubular gatorskin both wheels now

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:23 pm
Custom integrated saddle/post combo from Berk and you’re at 6.8kg for less than 500€

have experience with that combo?
stiffer?

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:33 pm
Assume you already cut your extra seat post length (if any)? Aside from that, nothing's free.

First place is tyres: gatorskin is 240g each and rolls poorly. Going with GP 4000SII will save 60g for both tyres, for not much money and make you faster on a flat. I could not peek inside the tyre, but some lightweight tubes might offer another 40-50g of weight savings, and are cheap as hell. Alternatively, if the wheels are tubeless ready, go tubeless - for a similar aggregate weigh saving, and even better rolling resistance with something like Hutchison Galactic TLRs 11 Storm.

Saddle is probably next. Berk will save you c.145-150 grams. Not cheap, but not cost-prohibitive either. Bontrager XXX is pricier but similarly featherweight.

Smaller stuff: you can get lighter bottle cages at sub 15g each, and titanium fixing bolts for another 5g or so. This almost free, but will be unlikely to save more than 10-15g in total.

I think all that can already get you to c. 6.8kgs total. If you are looking for more - probably look at pedals. This is poor bang for the buck, but probably 50g of savings to be found in total, at varying amounts of expense.

Next time you replace cables, I'd look to some lighter weight options (savings aren't much, really). And next time you replace the chain, use DA, rather than ultegra - it's a teeny bit lighter for a teeny bit more. Cassette has more weight savings on offer but at a steep premium.
these are tubulars gatorskins so i can maybe swap them for competitions? and saddle from berk is sure on my to buy list now!! i was looking at the site of berk and saw they had some carbon number holders to put under your rear brake , i will buy these to exchange them with my quite heavy alu one.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

Roadrocket wrote:
What tyres are on?

you have experience with aliexpress parts like seatpost , saddle etc?

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:23 pm

have experience with that combo?
stiffer?
I do and yes it’s stiffer but I didn’t find it uncomfortable and my saddles usually don’t come padded.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
What tyres are on?

I do. I never trusted aliexpress/ebay carbon goods before, but after I tried saddle, seatpost and bottle cages I think you could find good stuff for the price. Saddle was 109g without padding and more comfortable than my Prologo Evo or Selle Italia SLR(but it depends on your butt).
Seatpost is about 130g(27.2mm) and after few thousands kilometres still doing well.
The point is to choose reputable seller and don´t buy the cheapest stuff over there. Even though I would avoid a carbon frames, stems, or handlebars on aliexpress, some items can easily shave a lot of weight from your bike if money is the object.

About tyres, you didn´t mention width, but 25mm tubular Gatorskin is about 320g, so if you choose, let´s say, Vittoria Speed, you could easily save about 220g on both tyres. But Speeds don´t last long, I am currently riding heavier Corsa G+. They are about 280g each, but still light and very fast. But lighter tubulars can be find too, some of Veloflex for example.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

Roadrocket wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:48 pm
WILLIAMDENYS wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
What tyres are on?

I do. I never trusted aliexpress/ebay carbon goods before, but after I tried saddle, seatpost and bottle cages I think you could find good stuff for the price. Saddle was 109g without padding and more comfortable than my Prologo Evo or Selle Italia SLR(but it depends on your butt).
Seatpost is about 130g(27.2mm) and after few thousands kilometres still doing well.
The point is to choose reputable seller and don´t buy the cheapest stuff over there. Even though I would avoid a carbon frames, stems, or handlebars on aliexpress, some items can easily shave a lot of weight from your bike if money is the object.

About tyres, you didn´t mention width, but 25mm tubular Gatorskin is about 320g, so if you choose, let´s say, Vittoria Speed, you could easily save about 220g on both tyres. But Speeds don´t last long, I am currently riding heavier Corsa G+. They are about 280g each, but still light and very fast. But lighter tubulars can be find too, some of Veloflex for example.
im bit scared to buy parts on aliexpress because of the douane check you can possibly have :/

by Weenie

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

I never had any problems on customs with small parts like saddle or bottle cage...