Charging shimano Di2 battery

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goixiz

by goixiz

Is it possible to charge an internal Di2 battery using a etube spliced to a dc battery charger with the correct dc voltage. Like to have a charged internal battery in the toolbox when I need it.
- Eat More Rice !

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Hi, You need the original charger, but you plug the USB where you want. On transportable phone charger for example.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goixiz

by goixiz

Unfortunately I don’t. Have the charger nor the 3 or 5 port junction port
- Eat More Rice !

mattr

by mattr

No then. It's a LiPo battery and you need some sort of charge control. Just bashing volts in may well cause you some issues. Like blowing up the battery.

Also, LiPos don't really like being stored for extended periods fully charged, so sticking one in your toolbox for days/weeks might not be the best of ideas.

moyboy

by moyboy

I wouldn't recommend it. if you fry a battery it's an expensive lession vs. getting the junction port + charger. Also the charger is a diagnostic tool if you have a PC.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

moyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:49 pm
I wouldn't recommend it. if you fry a battery it's an expensive lession vs. getting the junction port + charger. Also the charger is a diagnostic tool if you have a PC.
Is that true? I thought the charger and the PC connection were two different things. I've plugged my Di2 charger into my PC, but it wasn't recognized as a device.

moyboy

by moyboy

Yes, you need this charger SM-BCR2 Along with the following windows software.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/application/?lang=en

I've used it to unbrick my system a couple times after firmware snafus.

iamraymond wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:51 pm
moyboy wrote:
Is that true? I thought the charger and the PC connection were two different things. I've plugged my Di2 charger into my PC, but it wasn't recognized as a device.

goixiz

by goixiz

moyboy wrote:
I have the PCE1 but plugging the PCE1 into the Battery only diagnose the battery but wont charge it
I also have the older style external battery charger - output 8.4V
I was planning to make a plug to connect the 2 wires of the etube to the 3dprinted plug and connect to the older external battery charger and charge the BTR DN101 to about 50-60% so i can have a spare battery ready to go if needed - Scrap that idea of using the External battery charger (has some circuit and not producing DC output at the pins) There is a dual connector "T" and its some circuit
Last edited by goixiz on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Eat More Rice !

mattr

by mattr

Borrow a charger then.
As without the right sort of charger (which will probably cost almost as much as the shimano charger) you've got little or no idea when it's 50-60% charged. Unless you unplug the charger and check with the PCE1

goixiz

by goixiz

mattr wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:11 pm
Borrow a charger then.
As without the right sort of charger (which will probably cost almost as much as the shimano charger) you've got little or no idea when it's 50-60% charged. Unless you unplug the charger and check with the PCE1
And a 3 or 5 port junction box and an etube will be needed

Or can i remove the rear derailleur etube and plug into an existting bike with internal battery already installed (hence 2 batteries in the system) to be charged ?? - I have access to bikes with 6880 or 8050
- Eat More Rice !

mattr

by mattr

Think you'll need to unplug the other battery though.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You don’t need e-tube for charging.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goixiz

by goixiz

TurboKoo wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:39 pm
You don’t need e-tube for charging.
what do you recommend if i dont have the charger nor the 3 port junction box ?
- Eat More Rice !