Handlebar dilemma

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nealjp

by nealjp

I've looked at so many handlebars that I have nightmares about them.

The Deda 35s on my Crisp titanium frame just doesn't cut it anymore. Mainly because I snapped a drop after hitting a minor road bump.

I'm flirting with the idea of aero style bars (1 or 2 piece, not TT) but I'm worried about how they would look with traditional tubing.

If you've matched aero bars with trad tubes, I'd love to see a pic!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Where did the drop snap? Are they carbon bars? Ultra light?

The pros often use alloy bars for their impact resiliance.

I've damaged bars at the stem clamp. After that I got myself some bontrager xxx copies and never had a problem since. Solid and light for me.

nealjp

by nealjp

They snapped just below the brake lever clamp. I used a torque wrench but Deda wouldn't replace/credit.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That’s one place I do not use a torque wrench, and go by feel and judgement depending on several things.... bar material, bar weight (lighter bars are inherently more fragile), and the interface of the clamp on the curve. In the case of Campy for example, they recommend a torque spec of 10Nm on that clamp, which is whole lot of torque, and if the edge of the clamp against the curve of the bar is at all digging in, then I’m always aware of creating a possible stress riser. So I just go by feel here. Get it tight for sure, so that it stays put under all riding conditions, but I think that point comes way before 10Nm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Marin

by Marin

Many carbon drop bars are 3-piece, with the drops glued on to the tops. The joint is roughly where your bar failed. The area can be damaged invisibly if the bike falls over - it will land on the end of the drops and the leverage will torque the joint. Happened to me twice, on chinese carbon bars though.

Aero bars on round tubed frames - I always build my Ti and steel bikes like this:

upside

by upside

Nice bike......Can't help you otherwise except do not buy Chinese knockoffs.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

That's a bit harsh. Most chinese riders are flyweights 55-70kg so their stuff is mostly tested in that range.

Keep that in mind before ordering on alixpress and getting ultra light parts being 80-90-100kg.

My 95kg friend is using knockoff handlebars and he's very impressed. They have lasted many thousand kilometers and are light. So there are exceptions... check reviews!

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

But that is exactly what scares me, exemptions in manufacturing. Sometimes it can be good and sometimes it breaks. They should run 100% QC in their carbon products but then prices would rise.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

LocoDuck

by LocoDuck

One place I wouldn't skimp on his handlebars. Quite surprising how thin some handlebars are, even some aluminium ones I've had in the past were quite fragile and dented very easily, notably at the end of the drops despite the fact the frame was never crashed or dropped. Granted it could have been damaged in the shop before it bought it, either way I tend to go for the higher quality aluminium bars or carbon bars from more reputable brands where you may have some comeback if the bars were to fail.

Marin

by Marin

How has this become about chinese parts? The OP had a Deda bar break FFS!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The guy needs to buy new bars. If deda broke then all bets are off. Noone is safe. :lol:

...except probably alloy bars.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

3T haven’t broke yet :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com