Ritchey stem and handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Have been using Zipp aluminum stem/bars on one bike, and am thinking to try Ritchey for a change on another one.

Looking at their C220 (or C260) aluminum stem and WCS Neoclassic (or the new WCS Curve) bars, I wonder if anyone could share their experiences with these? On paper they look pretty light for aluminum, but are they stiff and reliable enough in practice? Some reviews suggest installing the C260 is a bit of pain.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I have both 260's and 220's. and also run WCS Evo-Curve bars. I used the 260's for several years until the 220's came out and I transitioned to them. They have great stiffness numbers (see Fairwheel's stem shootout) have great aesthetics imo, and are one of the lightest stems out there. Plenty stiff front end and I weigh 185 lbs. The Evo-Curve bars have a nice flare at the hoods and a nice compact drop. The 260 is a royal pain in the ass to install bars into especially if they have a flattish top like the evo-curve. Have to insert the bars all the way down past the shifter, so the shifter has to be loosened and moved out the way and then you rotate/twist/snake the bars around into position. Usually mars the bars finish. When the 220 became available I discontinued the use of 260 for that reason and because I prefer the look/ease of forward facing face plate bolts and 2 clamp bolts instead of 3. The 260 may have felt slightly stiffer, than 220 but that is probably in my head.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I have used the C260 and later C220 stem and WCS Neoclasic bar for a couple of years. The C260 stem is a nightmare to install, looks odd with the three steerer bolts and is just something to quickly forget. The C220 is a much better design and I never noticed any difference in stiffnes compared to the C260. The bar actually clicks into place in the C220 (remember to install from the front, don't slide sideways into place as this will scratch the bars) and the whole connection feels rather secure. It does have a bulky look around the bar clamping area, though.

The WCS Neoclassic bar was my favorite for both road and cross as the classic looks were very appealing and at 262grams on a 42cm they were ok-ish for weight. At 78kg I have always found them (and the C220 stem) plenty stiff. FWIW I am on 42 cm bar and 110mm stem.

In the end I have gone away from the Neoclassic bars for two reasons: The transition to the shifters was not pleasant to ride with due to what I would call a steep slope from the top of the bar and into the hoods. It does fit with the 'classic' though. The main reason, though, was when riding deep in to drops with hands forward (which I do quite a bit) as there would be no support to the palm of the hand due to the curved bend. Again this of course fits the 'classic' but did give numbnes in the hands after a while.

Incidentally I am now on Zipp Service Course SL stem (about 10g heavier than the C220) and Zipp SL-70 bars (about 12g lighter than the Neoclassic), which have become my new favorite combo both regarding looks and comfort.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I am a long time user of the C260 and C220 stems and can echo the comments above. The C220 is the more practical choice and performs just as well as the C260.

I have also used the NeoClassic for a few years and find it to be the best expression of a shallow drop classic bar ever made. If you like the classic round drop, you will love the NeoClassic.

Ritchey makes high quality components. You can't go wrong choosing any of their products, imo.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I’ve got C260, C220 and 4Axis stems in current use, all are great in use as stated above. The C260 and 4Axis have alloy Curve bars, the C220 carbon EvoCurve - all combinations are as stiff as I’ve ever needed and find the fit perfect for me. I tried other brands when doing a new build but always come back to Ritchey, best for for me plus low weight, decent price and good ergonomics

biwa

by biwa

Zakalwe wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am
I’ve got C260, C220 and 4Axis stems in current use, all are great in use as stated above. The C260 and 4Axis have alloy Curve bars, the C220 carbon EvoCurve - all combinations are as stiff as I’ve ever needed and find the fit perfect for me. I tried other brands when doing a new build but always come back to Ritchey, best for for me plus low weight, decent price and good ergonomics
Is your alloy Curve bars this ones: https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/wcs-curve-handlebar? If so, how do you like it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

I love the shape of the drops and the bend works perfectly for where I like to position my shifters so there’s a smooth transition with no lumps like I’ve had with other bars. Ritchey cork tape is also very good if you’re a matchy wanker like me