stripping paint off a 2017 tcr advanced disc?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spectastic

by spectastic

I'm seriously considering purchasing a used 2017 tcr advanced disc. However, I don't really like the paint, and am thinking about stripping it. has anyone done this on a 2017 tcr advanced disc, and can share their results/lessons?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You're probably better off painting over it. I'd find a painter first. Maybe a carbon repair shop could tell you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The carbon repair shops sand down to the base coat and reuse it as a primer..

shotgun

by shotgun

I had my 2014 stripped down to raw carbon and added clear coat. it came out pretty nice I think. I'll try to look for close up photos.

2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Don’t you need a UV protectant to keep the resin from yellowing?

MoPho

by MoPho

I painted over mine using a rattle can, the beauty of a satin finish. I was only trying to cover some of the graphics, not the whole bike though

spectastic

by spectastic

thanks for the photo. is that a TCR? is the layup underneath 3k or UD? (looks like most frames have 3k finishes under the paint)

i don't plan on sanding that. that shit will take hours, and I don't trust my skills enough to take that on. i'm going to use carbolift, which takes minimal amount of time to apply, and then you just wait. the paint should come off easy. supposedly, it's not as harmful to the frame as paint thinner

and yes, I do plan to UV protect it with a clear coat. that's the main concern. not only clear coat, but also some kind of a resin layer that would be good for impact dampening against small rocks and stuff like that. carbon is not good with impact, so I'd like suggestions on what coating would be ideal for UV and impact resistance, if anyone has experience with that.,

shotgun

by shotgun

spectastic wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 am
thanks for the photo. is that a TCR? is the layup underneath 3k or UD? (looks like most frames have 3k finishes under the paint)

i don't plan on sanding that. that shit will take hours, and I don't trust my skills enough to take that on. i'm going to use carbolift, which takes minimal amount of time to apply, and then you just wait. the paint should come off easy. supposedly, it's not as harmful to the frame as paint thinner

and yes, I do plan to UV protect it with a clear coat. that's the main concern. not only clear coat, but also some kind of a resin layer that would be good for impact dampening against small rocks and stuff like that. carbon is not good with impact, so I'd like suggestions on what coating would be ideal for UV and impact resistance, if anyone has experience with that.,
Yup TCR, it was 3K weave underneath. Yeah I had to ask a shop to sand it down. I think carbonlift should be fine.

Yes, I used UV clear coat. I think that's why there's a purplish tint that can be seen from the flash of the camera. I'll try to see if I can still contact the painter, and share any info
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Check this thread for another stripped TCR. I didn't clear coat it btw. I like the feel of raw carbon

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk