New Cervélo Tomorrow? (1st Oct launch)

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
ryanw

by ryanw

A shame all the official photos have some gimp sprinting whilst cross chaining... Basics! Cervelo have not done well with this release!

S-Works Venge Disc for me next.
Allez Sprint Disc - 7.60kg
SL7 S-Works - 6.72kg
www.rhinosworkshop.co.uk
IG: RhinosWorkshop

ergott

by ergott

I think the S3 looks better than a lot of the top tier bikes from other companies.

by Weenie

themidge

by themidge

This new S5 looks pretty radical from most angles, except the standard side-on shot. Quite why they couldn't at least raise the headtube/toptube so the -17 equivalent stem is in line with the top tube, I cannot fathom.
The proportions of this bike look all wrong: the top tube looks really long, the headtube too short for the size, the seat tube design makes the seatpost angle too steep, the amount of setback is huge, and that Sunweb paintjob is disgusting.

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:36 pm
This new S5 looks pretty radical from most angles, except the standard side-on shot. Quite why they couldn't at least raise the headtube/toptube so the -17 equivalent stem is in line with the top tube, I cannot fathom.
You have seen a Look 795, right?

"The proportions of this bike look all wrong: the top tube looks really long,"
But it isn't.

"the headtube too short for the size,"
What size do you think that one is?

"the seat tube design makes the seatpost angle too steep,"
It's the same angle as the last one.

"the amount of setback is huge,"
Are you kidding?

"and that Sunweb paintjob is disgusting."
Yeah that's not a good look.

Jugi

by Jugi

themidge wrote:
The proportions of this bike look all wrong: the top tube looks really long, the headtube too short for the size, the seat tube design makes the seatpost angle too steep, the amount of setback is huge, and that Sunweb paintjob is disgusting.
They are giving the pros an excuse not to ride a disc brake bike. If they look like that...

As a second note, I find this general lack of adjustability borderline crazy. Have I understood correctly there are no possibilities to adjust the cockpit height without changing to another prorietary stem or going away from the integrated solution all together? Okay, everybody still wants to slam their stem but then again, the standard stem is equivalent to -6°? The handlebar attachment is also proprietary, so handlebar shape is limited to Cervélo’s offerings? There is a minute possibility of handlebar angle adjustment? The main competitors have gone to integrated solutions as well, but this seems like a bridge too far.

They must be planning to sell boatloads of bikefit sessions, each lasting a weekend in an isolated retreat led by a hypnotist to make this work.

IchDien

by IchDien

Canyon...pls copy the BMC downtube and Cervelo bars...

Shrike

by Shrike

IchDien wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:31 pm
Canyon...pls copy the BMC downtube and Cervelo bars...
Yes! EVO Aeroad with Cervelo bars and clip-ons at 7kg!

Pure black.

Then I can stick some Cervelo decals on it and retain some of my Cervelo fanboyism (which is taking a kicking today) :lol:

themidge

by themidge

wingguy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 pm
With that they made the top tube horizontal when it met the stem, right? I'm not suggesting they should have done that (it looked pretty bad, I agree!) but made the stem in line with the top tube. The top tube can be sloping, the -6* equivalent would still look like a positive angle normal stem, and the bigger sizes would look really big, but it'd be better than what it's like now.
wingguy wrote:"The proportions of this bike look all wrong: the top tube looks really long,"
But it isn't.

"the headtube too short for the size,"
What size do you think that one is?

"the seat tube design makes the seatpost angle too steep,"
It's the same angle as the last one.
Yes, this is my point, it looks like that even though it isn't, and god it looks bad!
wingguy wrote:"the amount of setback is huge,"
Are you kidding?
No, in the photo of the sunweb bike the setback looks pretty big to me. The seatpost angle (which wasn't so hot on the previous S5, either) definitely contributes to that look, and does so in practice as well because raising/lowering the saddle won't increase/reduce setback by as much as it would with a normal (shallower) seat post angle.
wingguy wrote:"and that Sunweb paintjob is disgusting."
Yeah that's not a good look.
All hope is not lost for the fade though!

wingguy

by wingguy

Jugi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:06 pm
As a second note, I find this general lack of adjustability borderline crazy. Have I understood correctly there are no possibilities to adjust the cockpit height without changing to another prorietary stem or going away from the integrated solution all together?
No, you have not understood correctly. You can add up to 32.5 mm of spacers to raise the bar height. The one thing you can't do is go -17 without abandinging the integrated cockpit. But this affects several modern aero bikes, it is not an issue that is unique to Cervelo.
The handlebar attachment is also proprietary, so handlebar shape is limited to Cervélo’s offerings?
Yes, but again, not an issue unique to Cervelo.
There is a minute possibility of handlebar angle adjustment?
Up to 5 degrees. Significantly more than minute.
The main competitors have gone to integrated solutions as well, but this seems like a bridge too far.
Not if you don't assume problems that don't exist. It's actually significantly better in most of the aspects you mention than a number of last generation's integrated aero bikes, some of which only worked with proprietary one piece bar/stem systems.
They must be planning to sell boatloads of bikefit sessions, each lasting a weekend in an isolated retreat led by a hypnotist to make this work.
Why? Choose frame size, choose stem length, choose spacer stack, adjust bar tilt if you want. Just like you do with any other bike. Where's the insurmountable difficulty that I'm missing? :noidea:

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Jugi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:06 pm
themidge wrote:
They are giving the pros an excuse not to ride a disc brake bike. If they look like that...

As a second note, I find this general lack of adjustability borderline crazy. Have I understood correctly there are no possibilities to adjust the cockpit height without changing to another prorietary stem or going away from the integrated solution all together? Okay, everybody still wants to slam their stem but then again, the standard stem is equivalent to -6°? The handlebar attachment is also proprietary, so handlebar shape is limited to Cervélo’s offerings? There is a minute possibility of handlebar angle adjustment? The main competitors have gone to integrated solutions as well, but this seems like a bridge too far.

from Cycling tips review
"Despite the integrated nature of the new bar and stem, there’s still the usual range of customisation. The stem height can be adjusted in 5mm increments with headset spacers, up to 30mm. The bars themselves can also be raised an additional 2.5mm, and the rotation set at 0°, 2.5°, or 5° angles through a series of shims. And since the bar and stem are separate components, length and width can be picked at will. The bars come in widths from 38cm through 44cm, and stems in length from 90mm to 130mm."

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:28 pm
wingguy wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:02 pm
With that they made the top tube horizontal when it met the stem, right? I'm not suggesting they should have done that (it looked pretty bad, I agree!) but made the stem in line with the top tube. The top tube can be sloping, the -6* equivalent would still look like a positive angle normal stem, and the bigger sizes would look really big, but it'd be better than what it's like now.
But to do that they would have had to give it the gigantic headtube and hunchback top tube of the 795. Otherwise the handlebar position would have been ludicrously low. It would also create the sharp cable bends into the frame that they were trying to avoid with the V-stem in the first place. Aesthetics is always a personal thing, but I think the V stem looks better than the 795 hunchback does. And the V stem def is going to mechanically work better than a flat version would.

I see what you mean with the setback now - I thought you meant the seatpost head itself! Yeah small Cervelos do suffer a little from that which is a shame, because their front end geometry is one of the absolute best around for small riders. They def need a 0 setback post in small sizes.

Stueys

by Stueys

I think they’ve done well. Would have loved it to be a bit lighter but that’s my only hesitation. Venge or s5 for me next year I think

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

I like it.

Bad news is that due to the very high cost, the likelihood of seeing these things in the wild or out racing as intended will be quite slim.

wingguy

by wingguy

Matt28NJ wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:59 pm
Bad news is that due to the very high cost, the likelihood of seeing these things in the wild or out racing as intended will be quite slim.
A touch more than the Venge, a touch less than the Madone or BMC. The guys that have made a real difference in the value for money stakes are Cannondale, it looks like.

The Cervelo and 'Dale also have mechanical shifting versions, which brings down the entry level cost of the complete bikes quite significantly compared to some of the competition.

by Weenie

C36

by C36

wingguy wrote:
Why? Choose frame size, choose stem length, choose spacer stack, adjust bar tilt if you want. Just like you do with any other bike. Where's the insurmountable difficulty that I'm missing? :noidea:
“I though I needed a 100mm stem and now I think I need a 110mm” those types of situations. Not that other brands do not have this problem... but boy here it won’t be cheap (agree that it’s better than previous generation of fully integrated combos, but a step behind the cannondale / trek solutions.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk