Can I reuse Campagnolo BB 86 press fit cups?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a set that have been fitted once for a few weeks. Can they be reused? They are slightly damaged on the edges of the inner sleeve whiich probably doesnt matter however they are very slightly marked on the leading step edge of the area that contacts the frame. This could potentially be smoothed with a bit of fine wet and dry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Don't see why not. I would.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I guess it depends. Can you see any wear on the anodization of the inside of the cups where it interfaces with the bearings themselves? If so, I’d replace for sure.
If that’s ok, and it likely is, then I guess your concern is the damage on the leading edge and perhaps if they would no Ionger be as tight a pressfit as they were originally, which could lead to creaking etc if not installed with retaining compound. If I had removed them without a hitch and everything looked good I’d probably reuse them on my own bike... someone else’s I’d probably want to put new ones in (they’re not that expensive).
What was the removal process like? Got any pics?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

wilwil

by wilwil

Calnago wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:39 pm
I guess it depends. Can you see any wear on the anodization of the inside of the cups where it interfaces with the bearings themselves? If so, I’d replace for sure.
If that’s ok, and it likely is, then I guess your concern is the damage on the leading edge and perhaps if they would no Ionger be as tight a pressfit as they were originally, which could lead to creaking etc if not installed with retaining compound. If I had removed them without a hitch and everything looked good I’d probably reuse them on my own bike... someone else’s I’d probably want to put new ones in (they’re not that expensive).
What was the removal process like? Got any pics?
I removed them back in April 2017 so can't remember. I used a Park tool and a hammer. I was just concerned the slight rough bits may scratch the inside of the frame but I'll smooth them out. There is no wear on the bearing seats or on the area that is in contact with the frame. I will use Park anti seize paste.