Stem love...BMC

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

I am looking at either a Roadmachine or Teammachine but am not fitting the -12 stem as i'd I'd like a bit more 'verticality.'

Anyone familiar with other stem(s) that allows internal routing + other rise(es)?

Part of the allure is the internal routing but I need some more stack!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I’m actually looking into this also for my SLR01 disc. I haven’t found an aftermarket stem which allows for the cable routing under the stem.

The Pro vibe won’t work cause the hydraulic hoses won’t fit through the tiny hole.

The closest I’ve seen which MIGHT work is the 2019 Venge stem. It also has routing under the stem for the hoses and wiring, and it comes in various lengths and angles. I don’t know, however, how well this will fit with the BMCs internal routing.

JLBSLR

by JLBSLR

iamraymond wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:15 pm
I’m actually looking into this also for my SLR01 disc. I haven’t found an aftermarket stem which allows for the cable routing under the stem.

The Pro vibe won’t work cause the hydraulic hoses won’t fit through the tiny hole.

The closest I’ve seen which MIGHT work is the 2019 Venge stem. It also has routing under the stem for the hoses and wiring, and it comes in various lengths and angles. I don’t know, however, how well this will fit with the BMCs internal routing.
I haven't checked myself but you would need to check to see if the Specialized has the same shape steerer tube as the SLR01. Its not round like a traditional steerer tube.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

You're right that the Venge doesn't have the steerer tube with the flat sides like the SLR01. It appears to have a traditional rounded steerer with additional space in the headtube/upper headset/compression ring to allow for the hoses/wires to pass.

Nevertheless, the Venge stem and the BMC stem both route the wires/hoses in the same manner: under the stem and to the front of the steer tube. Here are some screenshots from the Venge and Roadmachine manual:

Venge:

Roadmachine:

One thing I doubt will work (without modification) is the plastic parts under the stem. The shapes are totally different between the two bikes.
Last edited by iamraymond on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morganb

by morganb

Not to hijack the thread, but has anyone tried a Venge stem on anything other than a Venge? Obviously you could couldn't use the headset cover but it might look good with an Aerofly on the right bike.