Sram Red Etap groups on older Pinarello Dogma 60.1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lotus425

by lotus425

Got an older Pinarello Dogma 60.1 frame for a good price and hoping to build a dedicated climbing road bike to hit the local hills. Really want to fit 30T rear crankset for this bike and considering a new groupset for the this bike at the moment. This frame is not Di2 ready. Ultegra Di2 installation would reveal some hideous wiring scheme on the underside of frame. Has anyone tried the Wifi Sram Red Etap with older bike frame? Anyone recommend I go this route? Should I save money and just stick with mechanical dura ace R700 with rear ultegra 30T casset fitted with Wolftooth Derailleur Extender modification?

Many thanks in advance. New to weight weenies and new to the roadbike hobby. Your help is greatly appreciated.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Well, Pinarello aren't exactly known as "lightweight" bikes :D At least they pretend to be so with the Dogma F10 X Light, but previous Dogmas are well known to weigh a ton.

However, regarding Etap, no problems with installation, no messy wires, go for it (if you can live with less reliable front shifting than Shimano).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is a 30t cassette enough? If not better go with ultegra r8000 mechanical 34t.

I run a 10s sram red mechanical with a 208gr 36t cassette and xx derailleur @ 178gr. It's quite ww and has a sweet range for grades up to 20-25%.

A dogma isn't exactly a climbing frame. It would more or less be an aero bike, which is a great allrounder but if you intend to set some PR's climbing then maybe you need a real climbing bike.

ergott

by ergott

For 30T you might have to go with the WiFli version of the eTap mini group. I just put eTap on my new to me Cervelo S2. The bike has the older aero profiles I like. It also has standard threaded BB and normal brakes so less of a hassle. Now I don't have to worry about the annoying cable routing internally and the front end looks real slick. Can't wait to give it a go this weekend.

(I still might shorten the rear brake housing) 7.3kg, not bad for full aero bike with 60mm wheels and PM crank.
Last edited by ergott on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ergott

by ergott

double post

ukracer

by ukracer

I run a 10s sram red mechanical with a 208gr 36t cassette and xx derailleur @ 178gr. It's quite ww and has a sweet range for grades up to 20-25%.

Would be interested in knowing more about your set up

morganb

by morganb

I'm running eTap short cage with an 11-30 cassette with no issues. Its on an SL6 Tarmac so your results may vary with derailleur hanger length/geometry.

NickJHP

by NickJHP

SRAM Red eTap WiFli RD copes with a 34t rear cog without any problem. I'm using it on a gravel bike with an Ultegra R800 11-34 cassette. In fact, looking at the clearance I have between the 34 cog and top jockey pulley if the B-screw is all the way in, it might clear a 36 as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

ukracer wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:45 pm

Would be interested in knowing more about your set up
Sram has for road 10+11s and mtb 10s a standard called "exact actuation". You can mix these components and they work well together. (Gears on the cassette has to match the gears on the shifters.)

I run normal sram red road 10s shifters + sram xx 10s mtb rear derailleur (11s compatible) medium cage and a 10s xg1099 11-36t cassette.

You can also use 11s road shifters + 11s 42t cassette (requires xd freehub) and a 10s (yes 10s exact actuation) mtb derailleur long cage. This would work as an 11 speed road setup.

A cassette should be matched with the rear derailleur for good shifting. 36-42t with mtb derailleurs and so on. They are designed for that size.

If you can survive with 32t or 34t then stick with road derailleurs. I personally like the lightweight 10 speed components that are being sold for peanuts on the 2nd hand market right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com