Component advice for Ritchey Road Logic build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

Link doesn’t work for me and I don’t use Facebook. Can you imbedd picture?

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

I don’t know how an actual retro groupset would look on the ritchey, which is not really “retro” aside from it being steel. Other than that, it is modern. Point is, I think the chorus groupset would fit well as well as the deep carbon rims

wintershade

by wintershade

Yeah, I agree with you. I've decided to nix the whole retro thing and lean into the "modern steel" aspect. As far as groupsets go, I have both a Chorus and black Potenza build kit that arrived yesterday. I have the Ritchey and a Bowman Palace:R on the way. Current unused wheelsets include Zondas and Adrennes Blacks. So I think the last remaining question is: which bike gets which build kit.

On one hand, the Ritchey is a pretty nice frame, and would seem to deserve the better kit. Going "all aluminum" on the Bowman also makes some sense and the Potenza shifters are easier to use sprinting and cheaper in a race/crash. On the other hand the Bowman is the lighter bike, and perhaps deserving of the lighter kit?

Marin

by Marin

Better kit on the Ritchey I'd say.

wintershade

by wintershade

Yeah, plan for now is Chorus + Ardennes on the Road Logic, and Potenza + Zonda (or Sirocco) on the Palace R.

I did suddenly started second guessing whether the polished silver bar/stem/etc + silver Potenza would look better on the "skyline blue" Road Logic though. This image looks pretty good to me.
hero-slider-road-logic-1.jpg

wintershade

by wintershade

I think part of why I'm strugging with this dilemma is:
-- With the Palace R (1.35 kg), it feels like I can affordably build a respectably lightweight Al race bike.
-- With the Ritchey (1.75 kg) frame/fork weight, although a racey geometry, perhaps it better suited as a summer-home recreational road bike.

wintershade

by wintershade

The moment is no — which wheels for the Logic (build Campy Chorus ):

1) Bora one 35 tubular — light and roll like wet dreams, busy busy graphics

2) Zipp NSW tubeless - 303 front / 404 rear —bold and aero as Poseidon’s spear — with a bold rear and better handling front, also an American company.

Or 3) Ardennes Jet Black — tired and to CC, worry free riding them FONDOs

wintershade

by wintershade

Thanks to all of you who helped. Without further ado, here is how the bike "Skyline" turned out.
Skyline-5.jpg
This was my first time building a bike up from a bare frameset. It was a ton of fun and won't be my last. I already have some ambitious projects in the works. I learned a lot about bike maintinance and feel much more connected to this bike than I expected.

As you can see from the photos below, I opted to go down the "high polish" route to emphasise the more classic look. I actually ordered Potenza kits in Polished Silver and Black as well as a Chorus kit to decide which I liked most. The Black just seemed too stark against the frame and the Chorus seemed like overkill given the bike will be left at a vacation home and only ridden a couple weeks per year. The final and hardesst decision was switching the Zonda wheels and 25mm tires wheels for polished rims and wider tires. I got these Zetas from Starbike and much prefer the look, and the 28mm all season tires were perfect for a damp autumn ride in Boston after Christmas. The wheels match the Ritchey Classic kit perfectly and perform nicely. While I love how the white saddle and bar tap match the white frame graphics, it sure is a paint to keep white bar tape clean and not a choice I'll be making for furture bikes!

In term of how the bike rides -- this was my first time riding a "modern" steel in several years. The ride is just fantasicly smooth and silent. You certainly feel the weight accelerating and climbing; the bike lacks much in the way of urgency, but it just chomps up the miles when cruising along at a steady power on gentle rolling terrain. I just don't want to stop riding it. I had more fun descending on this bike than anything I've ever ridden. The way the steel soaks up bumps on rougher roads while descending gave me confidence to at set a Strava PRs bombing down a local hill. Not a bike for racing, but the perfect bike for more leisurely training on Peaks.

Thanks again all!

silvalis

by silvalis

Looks great
Chasse patate

shimmeD

by shimmeD

Silver rims rock! I would use black-matches-everything tape, matching your cables nicely.
Less is more.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

wintershade wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:35 am
Thanks to all of you who helped. Without further ado, here is how the bike "Skyline" turned out.
This is really nice. I came close to buying one of these frames in November. They look great.