Component advice for Ritchey Road Logic build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

Hi —

I scored an incredible closeout deal on a blue Ritchey Road Logic frameset and I couldn’t resist the urge to build myself another bike. I’m not very aesthetically inclined so I wanted some advice/suggestions for components.

I’m looking for a light timeless retro-modern vibe. My inspiration is the Speedvagen OG Classic which they no longer sell.

I’m thinking polished stainless handlebars/stem/seatpost, with white saddle and white bar tape to match the white logos. I’m thinking polished Campy Potenza 11 groupset. I have a Record 11 groupset I could takeoff my Canyon Ultimate SLX that I’m planning to convert to eTap, but that kind of changes the aesthetic....

For wheels, I’m thinking custom built high polish H+Sons Architype with White Industry hubs. I have some rarely used Shamal Miles I could run but that also would push into a darker/different aesthetic. I’m very open to suggestions here with low maintaince being key.

Purpose of bike will be a backup bike I’ll leave at the office for days I can sneak in a mid-day ride or want to log some extra base miles commuting to/from office. Cost isn’t important but I don’t intend for this build to be extravagant.

This will be my first build from frameset. Input and inspiration much appreciated.
Attachments
Speedvagen OG classic
Speedvagen OG classic
Last edited by wintershade on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I like your idea of polished alloy along with Potenza, the theme being showing off the media in their rawest forms eg clear anodised or polished alum, brushed ti, carbon weave on show, and well steel has to be painted. Then again, I'd use the Record in a heartbeat but still with say Ritchey Classic alum and polished rims (though the hard anodised rim colour a la Nemesis won't be out of place).
If it was my build however I'd probably have black along with polished alum: polished Potenza, polished rims/spokes/hubs, gumwall tyres, black bars/bartape/stem/seatpost/seat, polished ss cages.
Have fun, you're on the right track.
Less is more.

kdawg

by kdawg

That sounds pretty nice - and Ritchey do a polished stem, bars and seatpost which would match well.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

tandemracer

by tandemracer

I would skip the ugly Potenza crank and go with something more classic looking like Compass or daVinci.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

WhiteInd R30 crank?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Not polished. It will look tacky against the blue. Would be acceptable on red, but just barely. Retro modern eh,

- Campy Record 11
- polished hubs deep carbon rims (ie zipps)
- 2 words: gumwalls

LouisN

by LouisN

What color is the frame ?
I like contrast.
A touch of polished metal goes well with dark frame colors.
If your frame color is pale, then matte black accents will make it stand out.

Louis :)

themidge

by themidge

How's this for inspiration?
For ultimate retro-modern style, I say you need a build like this:
  • Groupset: customised potenza (strip and polish, shield logos, a bit of drillium) with record alloy cranks
    Or the full 10 speed group which the above cranks belong to
  • Wheels: silver (prev. gen) record hubs, or the newer black ones stripped and polished; new mavic open pro rims if clinchers or ambrosia chrono F20/nemesis rims if tubular
  • stem/seatpost/bars: silver or maybe gunmetal/Ti colour, 26mm bars and a thin steel stem would be cool
  • finishing kit: nice leather or faux-leather bar tape; recent-but-retro-style saddle, or a modern one would look fine if minimal graphics

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Pacenti Brevet rims might be another good option for a retro build.

wintershade

by wintershade

I do see where some are coming from regarding need for contrast to make components stand out.

The challenge is the frameset is a kind of mid-blue metallic (not quite dark, nor light). I’m less concerned about white vs black saddles/bartape because that’s easy/cheap to change. I have plenty of saddles laying around and can just put both to bike and see which I like better. I do want to get the groupset wheel choice right though.

What I know I dislike is the way the Ritchey full build looks like (polished 105 groupset but with black stem/bars/seatpost). It’s a hodgepodge look.

So the options are:

Option 1 - Dark/Modern: Chorus 11, Shamal Mille or Ardennes Black wheels, black bars/stem/seatpost.

Option 2 - Bright/Classic: Potenza 11, custom polished H+Sons / White Ind hub wheels, polished bar/stem/post.

Aesthetics Aside - Biggest advantage of option 1 is I prefer the Chorus shift action to Potenza for its ability to jump more gears on downshifts. Price difference isnt material enough to matter.

wintershade

by wintershade

So I came this photo, which has me leaning towards a darker build, rather than metallic. I think it’s pretty smashing.

Chorus 11 Groupset, Shimal Mille wheels, Ritchey WCS black alloy bars/stem/seatpost, white saddle/bartape

I just can’t quite visualize how the metallic would look. Anyone think I’m nuts or have better ideas?
Attachments
EA1E08A8-A93E-4BAC-8B6E-8A0A3501DD83.jpeg

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I reckon that it's hard to get away from having black: cables, brake hoods, cranksets, pedals all are easier sourced in black. There's also that saying 'everything goes with black'. So there ya go! I still am not shy to throw in silver hubs, rims & spokes, if going allow rims.
Less is more.

flying

by flying

wintershade wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:27 pm
So I came this photo, which has me leaning towards a darker build, rather than metallic. I think it’s pretty smashing.

Chorus 11 Groupset, Shimal Mille wheels, Ritchey WCS black alloy bars/stem/seatpost, white saddle/bartape

I just can’t quite visualize how the metallic would look. Anyone think I’m nuts or have better ideas?

I think this is nice :thumbup:

While I like retro in this case the black bits look better

wintershade

by wintershade

Thoughts on wheels:

- Shamal Mille: Have a set of C15s sitting unused
- Ardennes Black: I’ve always wanted to try these, the 21 inner rim seems like it would be great if I take this bike on tougher roads
- Zipp NSW: I have 404 rear that I don’t use, and could buy a 303 front and run tubeless (which I’ve always wanted to try) but would this look crazy / be overkill?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com