Component advice for Ritchey Road Logic build

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
wintershade

by wintershade

Link doesn’t work for me and I don’t use Facebook. Can you imbedd picture?

by Weenie

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

I don’t know how an actual retro groupset would look on the ritchey, which is not really “retro” aside from it being steel. Other than that, it is modern. Point is, I think the chorus groupset would fit well as well as the deep carbon rims

wintershade

by wintershade

Yeah, I agree with you. I've decided to nix the whole retro thing and lean into the "modern steel" aspect. As far as groupsets go, I have both a Chorus and black Potenza build kit that arrived yesterday. I have the Ritchey and a Bowman Palace:R on the way. Current unused wheelsets include Zondas and Adrennes Blacks. So I think the last remaining question is: which bike gets which build kit.

On one hand, the Ritchey is a pretty nice frame, and would seem to deserve the better kit. Going "all aluminum" on the Bowman also makes some sense and the Potenza shifters are easier to use sprinting and cheaper in a race/crash. On the other hand the Bowman is the lighter bike, and perhaps deserving of the lighter kit?

Marin

by Marin

Better kit on the Ritchey I'd say.

wintershade

by wintershade

Yeah, plan for now is Chorus + Ardennes on the Road Logic, and Potenza + Zonda (or Sirocco) on the Palace R.

I did suddenly started second guessing whether the polished silver bar/stem/etc + silver Potenza would look better on the "skyline blue" Road Logic though. This image looks pretty good to me.
hero-slider-road-logic-1.jpg

wintershade

by wintershade

I think part of why I'm strugging with this dilemma is:
-- With the Palace R (1.35 kg), it feels like I can affordably build a respectably lightweight Al race bike.
-- With the Ritchey (1.75 kg) frame/fork weight, although a racey geometry, perhaps it better suited as a summer-home recreational road bike.

wintershade

by wintershade

The moment is no — which wheels for the Logic (build Campy Chorus ):

1) Bora one 35 tubular — light and roll like wet dreams, busy busy graphics

2) Zipp NSW tubeless - 303 front / 404 rear —bold and aero as Poseidon’s spear — with a bold rear and better handling front, also an American company.

Or 3) Ardennes Jet Black — tired and to CC, worry free riding them FONDOs