1x Crit Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
timmerrr

by timmerrr

So I have recently bought a new bike to replace my 2011 Madone 5.2 as my everything bike. Over this winter I am looking to put the madone on a serious diet and prep it as a crit only bike. I'm wondering if anyone has done a light weight 1x set up? It seems that no one offers their top of the line crankset as a single chainring set up and im definately looking to use a lighter crankset than the sram force. What set up did you use and how did you like it?

Cheers!

JScycle

by JScycle

timmerrr wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm
t seems that no one offers their top of the line crankset as a single chainring set up and im definately looking to use a lighter crankset than the sram force.
Can't you get a sram red crankset and a direct mount chainring

by Weenie

Jacksoneaker

by Jacksoneaker

You can basically use any crank if you pair it with a proper chainline 1x ring. Often, it just needs to be mounted in the large chainring position, and should work well. :)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

You’re limited by the BB. Most cranks you can use would use a steel axle which isn’t the lightest. The 3T Torno crank would be a perfect crank but I don’t think the chainring size is big enough yet.

I also don’t know of any large lightweight 1x chainrings.

My suggestion would be to go with a SRAM Red crank and a carbon chainring from Fibre Lyte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Mines just running a standard crank with a Fibrelyte ring in the big ring position, works just fine. Crits are crashy not flashy.

dcorn

by dcorn

The FD hanger on my SL4 Tarmac was broken, so I took off the FD and ran it in the big ring and raced a crit. Would have been even better if I had an actually 1x setup instead of praying the whole race that the chain didn't jump down to the small ring. (got 3rd place too...)

I think any normal crank will work if you buy a 1x chainring. They are offset to run in a normal crank, you just need 1x specific bolts or spacers to make up for the little ring.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'd actually prefer the ring to sit in the normal big ring position, not be offset to the inside. That way it will be lined up with the cogs I use most in crits. For a 1x road setup I'd want the ring lined up with the middle of the cassette but even with a 11-23 cassette I won't use the cogs below 4th in a crit. So who makes a light, non-offset, narrow-wide 53t ring?

Also, who makes a light left brake lever that most closely matches a DA9000 right lever in shape and brake cable pull?
Last edited by Lelandjt on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Fibre Lyte custom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AyBee

by AyBee

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:19 am
Also, who makes a light left brake lever that most closely matches a DA9000 right lever in shape and brake cable pull?
Surely you're better off just using a DA9000 lever and removing what you can in terms of the shifter?

timmerrr

by timmerrr

Thanks for the replies guys. I picked up a dura ace RD and shifter from a local shop used for cheap and now I just need to get the crankset and chain ring. Probably looking at getting a lighter set of brakes and just picked up a Fizik Arione R1 saddle.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

It's smart move not putting too much money in 1x spec parts. Just get a SRAM 1x narrow wide ring (maybe 1x bolts) and use an existing 2x crank for the experiment. I wouldn't use a clutched derailleur initially because of the cost and arm length. I think you'll find the rear shifting better and far fewer tuneups needed with the 1x setup.
Surely you're better off just using a DA9000 lever and removing what you can in terms of the shifter?
Just use the a DA lever if you have one. The difference between a SRAM Force 1x left and 2x Front/Left is about 30-40grams. A 1x lever would probably be the same weight, but might have better feel. Maybe a DI2 lever at 115grams? You can pull the flags to save a few more grams. A DA 2x shifter would be more useful though.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattr

by mattr

Lelandjt wrote:
So who makes a light, non-offset, narrow-wide 53t ring?
Just read that back to yourself slowly :D :D :D
Lelandjt wrote:
I'm thinking of 1x on my CX bike at some point and i've been eyeing up the alfine drop bar lever as an option. THink it's the same shape as 10 speed, so shouldn't be too horrible.

sockpuppet

by sockpuppet

Rotor, STONE (ebay brand), Absoluteblack, and Sram all make a 1x Narrow-wide chainring... plenty of options for DirectMount, 110/130 bcd, etc. Buy 1x specific crank bolts, they'll be shorter.

Leave the left side shifter alone, other than pulling the brake cable out, and you shouldn't need a chain guide with a narrow wide ring.

Other options to consider (depending on budget): Ultegra RX derailleur, 11-32 cassette to be safe.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

Wolftooth Components makes narrow-wide chainrings for 1x with the proper chainline. They have them for both 110 and 130 BCD in addition to many proprietary cranks. My friend runs the 52T on his S-Works cranks and 1x DA with no problems. I was thinking about the same setup, but running Force instead. (I've got it sitting around, making a 1x crit bike with little additional cost)

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/col ... cross-road

commendatore

by commendatore

FWIW I’ve gotten the longest life out of the sram rings.

by Weenie