2019 SL6 S-Works build vs Tarmac Pro

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
petalpower
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm

by petalpower

Switched from an old 2010 Tarmac Elite to a 2015 Roubaix Pro. Never liked the handling, feedback and overall feel of the Roubaix. Want to go back to the Tarmac.

I know this is WW and minimal weight is sacrosanct...but let’s just place weight lower on the list.

My options:

1. Build a S-Works frame using the components from my Roubaix. SRAM Red brakes, Force groupset (Red Brifters), SRAM / Quarq crank, November Rail 52’s on White Industry Hubs.

2. Buy a complete 2019 Tarmac Pro that comes with Ultegra DI, Roval CL 50’s. I’d probably sell my old PM and upgrade to Garmin Vector 3’s.

I guess my question is would the S-Works frame be worth using all the old stuff, or would the Pro be a better overall package?

by Weenie


sfo423
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: San Francisco

by sfo423

Buy a Pro model or build a SWorks frame w/NEW components.

Jugi
Posts: 417
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:10 am

by Jugi

I'm going to add an option:

3. Inquire your LBS about the possibility of ordering a Tarmac Pro SL6 (rim brake) frameset, as that seems to be possible at least in some regions.

As you already have components you like, in your case I think the complete bikes are only feasible if moving from rim to disc brake. In my opinion the list prices are not very competitive compared to a frameset.

petalpower
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm

by petalpower

sfo423 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Buy a Pro model or build a SWorks frame w/NEW components.
Would be nice but don't want to dump $10K+ on the bike. I have other expensive hobbies. :D

Jugi wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 pm
I'm going to add an option:

3. Inquire your LBS about the possibility of ordering a Tarmac Pro SL6 (rim brake) frameset, as that seems to be possible at least in some regions.

As you already have components you like, in your case I think the complete bikes are only feasible if moving from rim to disc brake. In my opinion the list prices are not very competitive compared to a frameset.
The components have worked well. The thought of the electronic shifting is a bit enticing.

sfo423
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: San Francisco

by sfo423

$6700 @ retail
petalpower wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Buy a Pro model or build a SWorks frame w/NEW components.
Would be nice but don't want to dump $10K+ on the bike. I have other expensive hobbies. :D

petalpower
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri May 07, 2010 7:52 pm

by petalpower

sfo423 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:32 pm
$6700 @ retail

Actually if I do the Pro it'll be rim brake model ($6K). I'm pretty sure....

morganb
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:30 pm

by morganb

I'd do the Pro, the difference in weight between the Pro and S Works is negligible, same with Ui2 vs Di2 quality, which is gonna be worlds ahead of an old Force/Red mix. I have a rim brake Expert frame built up with eTap and I can't tell it apart from the S Works.

KevinM
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 am

by KevinM

I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.

Boshk
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:59 am

by Boshk

morganb wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:52 pm
I'd do the Pro, the difference in weight between the Pro and S Works is negligible, same with Ui2 vs Di2 quality, which is gonna be worlds ahead of an old Force/Red mix. I have a rim brake Expert frame built up with eTap and I can't tell it apart from the S Works.
I've always wondered about that, in a blind test, can anyone (except maybe the Pros or people who can dish out huge power) can tell the difference between the upper tier bikes, like you said, an Expert/Pro vs Sworks, or something like Pinarello Gan vs F8/F10, Giant TCR Adv vs Adv SL
Colnago C60

sfo423
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: San Francisco

by sfo423

Build list?
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 am
I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.

Kevinch76
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:39 am

by Kevinch76

I just built up the SL6 Pro...really awesome bike

Image

KevinM
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 am

by KevinM

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 am
Build list?
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 am
I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.
FRONT DERAILLEUR, FD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, BRAZED-ON TYPE, F
REAR DERAILLEUR, RD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, SS 11-SPEED, TOP
SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER+CALIPERS,SET ST-R8070/BR-R8070,F&R DI2/HYD
SW CARBON SHALLOW RD BAR 31.8X 42cm
SW SL STEM W/EXPANDER PLUG POL 31.8x90 6D
TURBO COTTON TIRE 700X26C 700X26*
PV TUBE 700X20-28 80MM 700x20-28 80mm*
BT-DN110 BATTERY
ELECTRIC WIRE, BLACK EW-SD50 FOR E-TUBE DI2
Shimano EW90-A Di2 Cockpit Junction Box 3-Port/ not for Flight Deck
JUNCTION BOX-INTERNAL EW-SD50, ULTEGRA-DI2,SM-JC41
WIRELESS UNIT FOR Di2 SYSTEM, EW-WU111, E-TUBE PORT X2, FOR 52 COUNTRIES, IND.PACK
Shimano BCR2 Charger for internal Di2 Battery w/Charging Cord
CL 50 DISC WHEELSET SATIN CARBON/BLK 700c
SW TARMAC MEN SL6 DISC FRMSET CLGRY/TARBLK/CHAR 58
SRAM Red 11-Speed Hollow-pin Chain with PowerLock
Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 11-Speed 11-28t Cassette
FRONT CHAINWHEEL, FC-R8000, ULTEGRA, FOR REAR 11-SPEED, HO
POWER ARC PRO SADDLE

LBoogie28
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:17 am

by LBoogie28

KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 am
Build list?
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 am
I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.
FRONT DERAILLEUR, FD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, BRAZED-ON TYPE, F
REAR DERAILLEUR, RD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, SS 11-SPEED, TOP
SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER+CALIPERS,SET ST-R8070/BR-R8070,F&R DI2/HYD
SW CARBON SHALLOW RD BAR 31.8X 42cm
SW SL STEM W/EXPANDER PLUG POL 31.8x90 6D
TURBO COTTON TIRE 700X26C 700X26*
PV TUBE 700X20-28 80MM 700x20-28 80mm*
BT-DN110 BATTERY
ELECTRIC WIRE, BLACK EW-SD50 FOR E-TUBE DI2
Shimano EW90-A Di2 Cockpit Junction Box 3-Port/ not for Flight Deck
JUNCTION BOX-INTERNAL EW-SD50, ULTEGRA-DI2,SM-JC41
WIRELESS UNIT FOR Di2 SYSTEM, EW-WU111, E-TUBE PORT X2, FOR 52 COUNTRIES, IND.PACK
Shimano BCR2 Charger for internal Di2 Battery w/Charging Cord
CL 50 DISC WHEELSET SATIN CARBON/BLK 700c
SW TARMAC MEN SL6 DISC FRMSET CLGRY/TARBLK/CHAR 58
SRAM Red 11-Speed Hollow-pin Chain with PowerLock
Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 11-Speed 11-28t Cassette
FRONT CHAINWHEEL, FC-R8000, ULTEGRA, FOR REAR 11-SPEED, HO
POWER ARC PRO SADDLE
All this for $7500? Did you get a shop discount? S-works frameset is $4500...leaves 3k for Di2, wheels, cockpit, etc.?

KevinM
Posts: 58
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 am

by KevinM

LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 pm
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 am
Build list?
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 am
I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.
FRONT DERAILLEUR, FD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, BRAZED-ON TYPE, F
REAR DERAILLEUR, RD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, SS 11-SPEED, TOP
SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER+CALIPERS,SET ST-R8070/BR-R8070,F&R DI2/HYD
SW CARBON SHALLOW RD BAR 31.8X 42cm
SW SL STEM W/EXPANDER PLUG POL 31.8x90 6D
TURBO COTTON TIRE 700X26C 700X26*
PV TUBE 700X20-28 80MM 700x20-28 80mm*
BT-DN110 BATTERY
ELECTRIC WIRE, BLACK EW-SD50 FOR E-TUBE DI2
Shimano EW90-A Di2 Cockpit Junction Box 3-Port/ not for Flight Deck
JUNCTION BOX-INTERNAL EW-SD50, ULTEGRA-DI2,SM-JC41
WIRELESS UNIT FOR Di2 SYSTEM, EW-WU111, E-TUBE PORT X2, FOR 52 COUNTRIES, IND.PACK
Shimano BCR2 Charger for internal Di2 Battery w/Charging Cord
CL 50 DISC WHEELSET SATIN CARBON/BLK 700c
SW TARMAC MEN SL6 DISC FRMSET CLGRY/TARBLK/CHAR 58
SRAM Red 11-Speed Hollow-pin Chain with PowerLock
Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 11-Speed 11-28t Cassette
FRONT CHAINWHEEL, FC-R8000, ULTEGRA, FOR REAR 11-SPEED, HO
POWER ARC PRO SADDLE
All this for $7500? Did you get a shop discount? S-works frameset is $4500...leaves 3k for Di2, wheels, cockpit, etc.?
There were definitely some discounts. When you spend that kind of money, you’ve got to find a good shop and negotiate for sure.

by Weenie


sfo423
Posts: 553
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:12 pm
Location: San Francisco

by sfo423

I was thinking about a Pro frame build and don't think you can save much considering the Pro disc @ $6700 has di2 and Cl50 wheels .

Frame; $2500
Udi2: ~$2k
CL50 wheels: $1750
cockpit/saddle/tires/etc: $500

Even w/a discount, I'm not sure you can build it for much less than $6k.


LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 pm
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm
sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:49 am
Build list?
KevinM wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:29 am
I built up an Sworks disc frame with UDI2 and the CL wheels (not CLX) for about $3500 less than a stock complete bike Sworks disc would have cost. That way I got the upgraded frame, but no Dura Ace and no bladed spokes. Something to consider.
FRONT DERAILLEUR, FD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, BRAZED-ON TYPE, F
REAR DERAILLEUR, RD-R8050, ULTEGRA Di2, SS 11-SPEED, TOP
SHIFT/BRAKE LEVER+CALIPERS,SET ST-R8070/BR-R8070,F&R DI2/HYD
SW CARBON SHALLOW RD BAR 31.8X 42cm
SW SL STEM W/EXPANDER PLUG POL 31.8x90 6D
TURBO COTTON TIRE 700X26C 700X26*
PV TUBE 700X20-28 80MM 700x20-28 80mm*
BT-DN110 BATTERY
ELECTRIC WIRE, BLACK EW-SD50 FOR E-TUBE DI2
Shimano EW90-A Di2 Cockpit Junction Box 3-Port/ not for Flight Deck
JUNCTION BOX-INTERNAL EW-SD50, ULTEGRA-DI2,SM-JC41
WIRELESS UNIT FOR Di2 SYSTEM, EW-WU111, E-TUBE PORT X2, FOR 52 COUNTRIES, IND.PACK
Shimano BCR2 Charger for internal Di2 Battery w/Charging Cord
CL 50 DISC WHEELSET SATIN CARBON/BLK 700c
SW TARMAC MEN SL6 DISC FRMSET CLGRY/TARBLK/CHAR 58
SRAM Red 11-Speed Hollow-pin Chain with PowerLock
Shimano Ultegra CS-R8000 11-Speed 11-28t Cassette
FRONT CHAINWHEEL, FC-R8000, ULTEGRA, FOR REAR 11-SPEED, HO
POWER ARC PRO SADDLE
All this for $7500? Did you get a shop discount? S-works frameset is $4500...leaves 3k for Di2, wheels, cockpit, etc.?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post