Campagnolo direct mount brake callipers?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Do the new style DM callipers have better tyre clearance than the skeleton ones?

silvalis

by silvalis

Yes, supposedly. I got the new ones instead of the skeleton record dm. Oodles of clearance.

Never tried the skeleton record dm though.
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

wilwil wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am
Do the new style DM callipers have better tyre clearance than the skeleton ones?
I think they have more clearance than needed for a road bike. Shown below with 25mm tubular tires:

front
https://i.imgur.com/HNKMJVu.jpg

back
https://i.imgur.com/IJ3XzvX.jpg

I can snap some pics with 27mm if you're interested.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

wilwil wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:51 pm
There is no reference to front and back for either version Direct (non cut out version) or Campagnolo (cut out version)
Incorrect - they are different - Front and rear seat-stay should not be interchanged.
Rear under-BB mount can be interchanged with the front but don't forget to swap the brake shoe direction otherwise the blocks can be forcibly ejected by braking.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Renault78law

by Renault78law

mag wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:37 pm
I've got those on the pic above and yes, they're different front and rear, but the previous gen ones are also different (front and rear).
There are actually 3 ranges of these brakes, but only the 2nd and 3rd are being currently manufactured and marketed:

1. (Old) RECORD (R/SR) (BR16-REDMF, BR16-REDMRSS, BR16-REDMRBB), skeleton ~158g https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/CampyW ... unt_brakes
2. DIRECT (Chorus and below) (BR17-DIDMF, BR17-DIDMRSS) ~ 176g https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Compon ... ount_brake
3. (New) CAMPAGNOLO (R/SR) (BR19-DMF, BR19-DMRSS), these replace the old RECORD ones ~168g https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Compon ... ount_brake
Did a new direct mount brake for under the bottom bracket come out after the old Record BR16-REDMRBB? Or is BR16-REDMRBB the only available option for direct mount brakes installed under the bottom bracket?

mag

by mag

AFAIK BR16-REDMRBB is still the way to go, nothing else exists.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

The my2019 (super)record dm brake for the seatstay: BR19-DMRSS
The my2019 (super)record dm for the front fork: BR19-DMF

IMO they are heavy, ugly (let alone the silver coulored bolts), less aero and more flexy compared to the Dura-Ace DM brakes.
And I've tried both.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

bruno2000 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:41 am
IMO they are heavy, ugly (let alone the silver coulored bolts), less aero and more flexy compared to the Dura-Ace DM brakes.
I'm a campa fan but underwhelmed with the '19 dms i recently got. Heavy, bulky, the bolts are an eyesore. Feels like a big downgrade from the SR12 i used before. The modulation is nice though but for some reason the new setup seems very sensitive towards pad noise. If no toein i get monster squeals while before i could get away with paralel pads most of the time. I wish I tried to find some skeleton gen for cheaper.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

I attempted to use them on a Colnago V2R build after buying the frame and everything else from Velomine, who suggested them and promised me they would clear up to 28mm tires and work perfectly with my wheelset.

They absolutely did not, and would not even properly clear most 25's on that frame.

Velomine only admitted they were going with what Colnago claimed and not real life knowledge after the fact, for their overpriced in house DM and not the Campy.

Come to find out, Colnago was fudging the facts on their in house too, but the Campy DM issue wound up costing me a big chunk of cash as I'd already fully built up the frame including cutting the seatpost and fork only to find I was stuck with 23mm tires.

Frustrated, I sold it off as used and lost my butt on the whole deal, very badly.

I'll never deal with Velomine again after having spent tens of thousands with them over the years, (and understanding this may be unpopular here) nor Colnago because their DM placement and overstating of the facts thereof were the root cause.

I'm a Campagnolo guy through and through, but the DM brakes are a full on fail if you ask me.
Last edited by BikeEatSleepRepeat on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mag

by mag

The BR19 ones didn't clear 25mm (measured I suppose) tires at V2R? That's unfortunate, but it must be the frame (brake mounts too close to the tire) issue, because for instance at C64 they clear almost 26mm (measured) tires just fine and I'm sure 28mm would be still fine.

However I'm neither thrilled about their braking power. Given their weight I expected something comparable to Shimano 9100, but there's still a lot of work for Campy here (if they're going to bother given the disc brake dominance). If Shimano brakes would work well with the Campy levers I'd use that combo, but someone who tried it complained that it wasn't great.

robertbb

by robertbb

BikeEatSleepRepeat wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:38 am
I'm a Campagnolo guy through and through, but the DM brakes are a full on fail if you ask me.
I tend to agree on Campy DM brakes.

Did you try the non-series ones that say "Campagnolo Direct" on them?

fogman

by fogman

r4nd0mv4r14bl3 wrote:
wilwil wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:56 am
I think they have more clearance than needed for a road bike. Shown below with 25mm tubular tires:

front
https://i.imgur.com/HNKMJVu.jpg

back
https://i.imgur.com/IJ3XzvX.jpg

I can snap some pics with 27mm if you're interested.
What frame is that? Looks like a Colnago C64?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

They absolutely did not, and would not even properly clear most 25's on that frame.

Definitly the frame's fault. On my Tarmac I could easily easily use (measured) 30mm tires. Probably even 32 would fit.

BikeEatSleepRepeat

by BikeEatSleepRepeat

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:12 pm

Definitly the frame's fault. On my Tarmac I could easily easily use (measured) 30mm tires. Probably even 32 would fit.
Yes, the placement by Colnago was without research for the modern wants and needs, for sure.

It wasn't just a height issue though, but as much or more so side to side and the Campy design gave next to no leeway there.

The whole project was a total wash for me because of the issue.

If it had been my lack of researching it, then it would have been on me. But, I asked and was mislead.

rik

by rik

graeme_f_k wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:37 pm
Incorrect - they are different - Front and rear seat-stay should not be interchanged.
Rear under-BB mount can be interchanged with the front but don't forget to swap the brake shoe direction otherwise the blocks can be forcibly ejected by braking.
That's interesting. Can anybody elaborate on what the difference between front caliper (BR16-REDMF) and rear under-BB caliper (BR16-REDMRBB) is? And why are they interchangeable?

Is it only the direction of the flaps on the brake shoe? What are these for anyways? This is an image of a BR16-REDMRBB and I intend to use it as front brake after reading the comment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com