Colnago HS01 headset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jgpallero

by jgpallero

Hello:

I own a Colnago EPS frameset, which comes with the integrated Colnago HS01 headset. The frame comes with a spacer cap (I attach a picture of it) of height equals to 14 mm, and also an internal interface between the bearing and the spacer (also a picture is attached). I find the spacer cap so thick for me, so I need a thinner one (the thinnest, probably, as I need a 6 mm height one). I've put in contact with Colnago and they have said that "We don't use that headset anymore and a lower spacer cap has never been available for that headset".

Anybody knows if it is possible to find a thinner HS01 compatible cap?
Attachments
headset-interface.png
headset-spacer.png

jgpallero

by jgpallero

Hello:

Surfing the net I've found the attached photos of a Colnago EPS (the same as mine). In this case the top cap does not come fron an original Colnago headset but apparently is a Ritchey one. Has anyone any idea about which Ritchey model could be?

Thanks
Attachments
eps-1.png
eps-2.png
eps-3.png

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

Start by measuring the OD and inside clearance of the original. You certainly should be able to find a suitable part, though most generic carbon parts are advertised in 5mm height increments. Not sure about Colnago-branded.

jgpallero

by jgpallero

Thank you for your answer. Excuse me, but I don't understand the terms "OD" nor "inside clearance"

Thanks

jgpallero

by jgpallero

Hello:

First of all, I should say that this post title is erroneous, as the Colnago EPS headset is the C-HS1 model instead of HS01. Actually, I don't know exatly if the C-HS1 and HS01 are the same model. In some webpages (https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Colnag ... -Frame/RHY for example) the headset is called HS01, while in the official Colnago catalogues the EPS headset is called C-HS1. So from now on I will refer to the headset as C-HS1.

Well, by the moment I've not gotten a top cap compatible with the C-HS1 headset, so another possibility consists in find another compatible headset and substitute the C-HS1 that comes with the frameset. Actually I would use only the upper part (bearing cup, bearing, top cap, etc.) of the headset, as the C-HS1 is 1 1/8" un the upper part and 1 1/4" in the lower part, and I have no problems with this lower part. I know also that the 2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 uses also the C-HS1 headset, so I can use the web https://blue.canecreek.com/headset-fit-finder in order to get the standard codification of the headset (in the list appears the frame CLX-S 3.0, but this is a mistake an the correct nomenclature is CLX 3.0). Then, the upper headset part nomenclature is ZS44/28.6.

I've found several brands that provide this kind of headset: Cane Creek, Ritchey, Hope, FSA, Syncros, Pro and others. Which brand is better in your opinion? Has anyone any experience substituting asn EPS or CLX 3.0 headset? Is it a safe operation? The original headset comes installed from the factory, could be its removal dangerous for the frameset?

Thanks

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Something is not right here. My EPS came with a three part top (aluminum ring with flat top, flat carbon cap, carbon cap extension (like this http://www.colnago.com.pl/technologia.html ). The photos are parts from Colnago's standard 1 1/8 external headset.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nothing “not right” with the OP’s headset. They’ve come with various headsets. My C59 (2011) has the headset that Joeyb1000 shows in his post above. It has a small cover and a taller cover on top, so if you wanted to have a shorter stack you could just used the shorter cover (with the o-ring) and leave the taller cover off. But I’ve also see C59’s with a solid top cover (no shorter cover) and also the Acros headsets with a wedge type expander two piece cover. There are slight variations even in the final beveled edge of the top covers even though at first glance you’d think they were the same.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jgpallero

by jgpallero

Calnago wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:37 pm
But I’ve also see C59’s with a solid top cover (no shorter cover)
Yes, this is my problem with my EPS C-HS1 headset