Anyone used the new 2018 Super Record brakes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Curious how they compare to the 2017s... Im switching to EPS 11 on my Tarmac.. I don't really like breaking apart a groupset, but if the brakes are an improvement its something Id def consider doing... brakes.... are a good thing!!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I have them, switched from 2015 Record hoping for more clearance (based on marketing description) and perhaps more power. In fact they have about 1mm less vertical clearance, at least on my fork. With over 500km of hilly riding, with 2015 SR levers, braking feels very similar to previous. Maybe they are stronger but it is subtle. They *look* stiffer but I doubt I could tell them apart blindfolded. They look very nice for a modern type of aesthetic, pretty different than the slightly retro style on the old version.

All in all my biggest waste of budget ever. But I'll have a full group when I eventually switch to 12s and perhaps with the proper levers they do work better than the previous gen. Info floating is not very clear whether they changed the pull or not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

OK Thanks.. Ill just stick with the matching ones and save the cash...
Im not in need of clearance really, using 24 spec tires or a 25 GP II at largest...

octav

by octav

I was curious also on the clearance, for the moment I have SR11 on a Colnago CX Zero and in the front I could use a 28mm tyre but I am limited by the brake so go with a 25mm. No upgrade it seems... For the power, I assmued it's no difference. Maybe in the direct mount ones.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

On my fork I could barely use a 27mm tubular before (1mm of vertical space, often i would hear debris scratching in between tire and brake) now won't work at all so back on 25 (which I fine, I prefer the handling of the 25) On the back I have loads of clearance with both, so the frame and fork construction (placement of the holes) are critical...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

So this is no an upgrade reason. I should stick only with to have the 12 speed and stay calm for at least 5 years from now on :D
For me 25mm it's the maximum on front(25-26mm real width so a Michelin 25mm that is 28mm goes only on the back). But 25mm is enough for road bikes in front.