What aero helmet should I buy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zefs

by zefs

Doesn't make sense because aero helmets have a constant channel of air which gets pushed, in comparison to the more vented helmets which air escapes more through different places. If you lower your head more (than normal) you can hear the noise reducing when wearing an aero helmet.
Shouldn't be an issue for racing though as your focus would be elsewhere.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Focusing, channeling, etc. usually results in highly directional energy, including sound energy. I see no reason why an aero helmet or super-ventilated helmet would be better or worse in terms of sound volume given the placement of the human ear relative to various air vents. If air is escaping through small channels on the edge of the helmet near the ears, then sure...maybe? Otherwise the only way one helmet might be significantly worse than others is if its vents are shaped in a way that causes them to whistle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jugi

by Jugi

spdntrxi wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:18 am
I feel the opposite is true.. atleast my evades conpared to prevail and giro synthe
I have a similar gut feeling, although I’m not a very good measurement point for wind noise as I have seriously hard time to hear people talking around me when riding at any reasonable road cycling speed. But anyway, a MET Manta is definetly not more silent than a Specialized Evade on my head. I haven’t tested them back to back in same conditions, but that is my feeling.

On top of that, I would say when lowering my head the wind noise level won’t come down with the Manta. I would argue the wind noise gets louder around the one large vent on top of the helmet (or near the trailing edge of the upper half of the helmet).

I have tested different head positions with a Giro Selector at a controlled environment on an inside track, and with the Selector I was able to produce a clearly lower wind noise level by ducking. But the Selector is quite different as it is a traditional tear drop helmet.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I haven’t tried other aero helmets but I can definitely tell the Ballista is much quieter than my Lazer ultralight helmet. I’m certain that Trek didn’t design a helmet based on sound level. But an aero helmet is supposed to minimize air turbulence and less turbulence also means lower noise level. Anyways I like my Ballista and I purchased it based on high ratings from tests done in a wind tunnel. The low noise is a bonus and a pleasant surprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zefs

by zefs

I think it's great compared to the competition, it's lower priced and has mips. Couldn't find anything bad about it and it's well made/sturdy.

stoney

by stoney

The Evade II is well ventilated and very comfortable for me. I wouldn't trade mine for any other helmet.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'll throw in another thumbs up for the Evade II.

I've been extremely surprised at how well ventalated it is. Not quite as good as my POC Octal Race Day at low speeds (which I've relegated to off road duties), but definately better than the Gyro Synth that the POC replaced. At about 20mph, the diference in ventalation between the POC and the Evade II becomes nearly un-noticable.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

KevinM

by KevinM

I own a Ventral spin and love it. I live in a very hot and humid climate (Houston, Texas) and can honestly say it’s cooler than any helmet I’ve ever owned. It’s my first aero helmet, so can’t compare it to others.

It’s MUCH smaller than the Octal. It does not have the huge bulbous profile you think of when you think POC.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Yeah I did an xc race today, it wasn't that hot and I was struggling with the heat in my head. I think I'm more sensitive to the heat than I remembered haha.
I was in my old specialized s3 which looks like it would be well vented but I do need a haircut.
So I'm starting to become back around to the Ventral. It's nice to hear that you see finding it cool and that is not as big as the old octal.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

GlacialPace wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:07 am
Yeah I did an xc race today, it wasn't that hot and I was struggling with the heat in my head. I think I'm more sensitive to the heat than I remembered haha.
I was in my old specialized s3 which looks like it would be well vented but I do need a haircut.
So I'm starting to become back around to the Ventral. It's nice to hear that you see finding it cool and that is not as big as the old octal.
I have been using the Ventral since the Spring after being a 30 year user of Giro helmets. The Ventral is very nice and the quality is a nice step up from the Giro Synthe I had been using for the last few years. I would highly recommend the Ventral.

shoon

by shoon

Why not got for the MET Trenta?
I changed from giro synthe to it. It has more padding, vented and feels comfy to me and it's very aero as tested by cycling weekly. You can find good price from probikekit uk. I'm living in Singapore where the temperature is around 20-35 like yours and it doesn't feel overheating for me on Long rides eg 70-100km

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

Decision made, the Ventral has been ordered. I like how my Tectal fits, I like how the SPIN pads feel like they would do what they say they will without the added bulk or weight of the various MIPS systems and I like that a few of you have said it is well ventilated. Should have it by the end of the week.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Since Kask Utopia is alredy in the shops, I was wondering if somebody has managed to get one and could share a few words on its fit and suspension system.
I have Infinity and Protone as the reference point.

Js2

by Js2

1415chris wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 pm
Since Kask Utopia is alredy in the shops, I was wondering if somebody has managed to get one and could share a few words on its fit and suspension system.
I have Infinity and Protone as the reference point.
I'm currently using one, fit is same with the Protone. Feels a bit quieter than the Protone at speed, suspension retention and strap is the same with protone. Hope this helps! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

I love the different aero helmet options Limar is offering with their new ''Air'' line.
https://limar.com/en/air-speed/

Louis :)