Advice needed on Di2 FD set up

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arty118

by arty118

Hi, I'm currently having problems with my 9070 FD. The chain struggle to get into the big ring when shifting. It sometimes take a few pedal strokes for the chain to shift or won't shift up at all. I tried removing and reinstalling it following Shimano's manual. Position is checked with the cage being about 1mm above the ring. Limit screw is checked, support bolt is checked with the cage being parrallel to the ring. I just run out of idea how to set it up to shift smoothly. Any advice or tips?

FYI I run Quarq Dzero crankset with Praxis Works compact chainrings on Canyon Ultimete frame.

2old4this

by 2old4this

If you've adjusted the high limit screw correctly, I would check
- if there is any derailleur play under load (i.e. You may need to tighten it up)
- if the cage moves under load (this is highly unlikely)
- are your chain rings old? (if they are old and have slightly bent teeth, shifting is bad with praxis.)
- is your chain too long?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arty118

by arty118

2old4this wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am
If you've adjusted the high limit screw correctly, I would check
- if there is any derailleur play under load (i.e. You may need to tighten it up)
- if the cage moves under load (this is highly unlikely)
- are your chain rings old? (if they are old and have slightly bent teeth, shifting is bad with praxis.)
- is your chain too long?
Thanks! I may need to recheck the chain length. The chainring has done about 5,000km, is this considered old?

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

arty118 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 am
Thanks! I may need to recheck the chain length. The chainring has done about 5,000km, is this considered old?
That's about how many kms I had on my chain that I just replaced. I had similar issues, although I am on mechanical. It was most likely a combination of chain wear and cable tension. Even pushing the derailleur up manually wasn't as smooth as I'd like, so I changed the chain, recabled, and adjusted/indexed my front derailleur, and now it's good to go.

Can you manually push the derailleur onto the big ring, like mechanical? That way you can check your high limit (with the chain in the smallest cog).

FWIW, I'm not experienced with Di2. Be aware that 1mm is the closet you want the derailleur cage. Depending on the chainrings, slight warping (WATTZ) and wear can make 1mm a little close. Also check to make sure the derailleur cage is parallel to the chainrings. But if all of those are good, replace the chain and see if that helps.

bilwit

by bilwit

you can also try micro adjustments to it just like the RD except put it in big/big first (personally never had to mess with this and adjusting the limit screws was enough for me)

another thing that's easy to miss is to check to make sure the crank is flush with the BB.. if the non driveside arm was tightened but there's still a little bit of play from the crank axle then the chainrings can potentially sit a little further out from the cage than it should be and you can get shifting issues like this

arty118

by arty118

After another check, I just found that the derailleur cage is cracked! It's on the inside so it was quite hard to notice. :cry:
New one is on the way ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com