Power2max Classic Problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have this following problem with power2max classic model.

Here are the problems:
- I am not getting any data, power and cadence
- Head unit, both Garmin 500 and Wahoo bolt, found the PM and were able to connect to it with ant+, no Bluetooth on the classic model.
- The only time I am getting data randomly is when I shift from small to big ring, but then it drops out again within seconds

Things I have tried:
- Of course new battery, I inserted a new battery, I got a green flash...
- Disassemble the ring to see anything wrong with the other parts such as spider ring lock (I had ring broken lock problem before, giving low power reading, but cadence still accurate), and assemble the crankset, make sure everything tight.
- Forget PM profille and reconnect on both head unit
- Factory reset garmin and reconnect

None of those fixed the problem. I contacted P2M, and the person did not know what is wrong and cant suggest what else to do. He said they might need to test it, but my impression is they re reluctant to do this because it is an older power meter and out of warranty, so I may be on my own.
I bought the PM in summer 2014, due to health issues I didnt get to use it as much as I want to probabaly around 6k ish mile, and I used mostly on trainer. Its pretty disspointing if its dead already.

naylor343

by naylor343

Did you use the Renata battery? Cannot remember why, but when I had the classic model I know they stated that the battery had to be the Renata brand only for some reason. This was not the case for the type-s and NG models.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nfecyle

by nfecyle

Yes, I use Renata CR2450N bought from amazon. I will buy another or 2 just to make sure that I didnt get a bad battery. It was flashing green though when I inserted it.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Contact p2m support. They are excellent.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

jfranci3

by jfranci3

How far is your head unit from the PM? ANT+ range isn't that far. If larger than 58, that could be an issue.

Do you have another ANT+ reader sucking the signal (4iiiiiiiiiiii HRM)? It'll send data to just one device. Do you get cadence?

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:41 am
Do you have another ANT+ reader sucking the signal (4iiiiiiiiiiii HRM)? It'll send data to just one device.
AFAIK ANT+ is a broadcasting protocol which does not depend on two way communication. A single ANT+ sensor broadcast a signal to an infinite number of receiving devices, unlike Bluetooth 4.0/Smart which does require strict pairing.

nfecyle

by nfecyle

jorisee01 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes, they re very responsive with replying email and trying to help to fix the problem, but I am not sure when it comes to escalating to action such as servicing or testing the PM...maybe due to old and out warraty unit. It has been 3 days since their last comm.

AJS914

by AJS914

IME, email is always the lowest priority for customer service. I would call and ask what the next step would be for troubleshooting or if they have a mail-in service.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

nfecyle wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:32 pm
jorisee01 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Yes, they re very responsive with replying email and trying to help to fix the problem, but I am not sure when it comes to escalating to action such as servicing or testing the PM...maybe due to old and out warraty unit. It has been 3 days since their last comm.
It could be the person you emailed is not there... Ive had it go by a few days where theres no response and then suddenly someone else pops on and says that person was not in and not checking emails... they are awesome to deal with, ordered my Campy meter at noon the other day, and it was out the door within hours with a UPS tracking number! Now thats service...

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

So what happens when you try to zero (incorrectly called as "calibrate" on garmin units)?

Do you get a calibrate failed? success? Do you get a number?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com