Di2/E-Tube Workarounds?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

seahuston

by seahuston

Hey All,

I've got an r8070 Di2 group on my bike with 52/36 and 11-28. I mostly love it but I'm having a hard time getting the syncro shifting exactly how I want it. There are two limitations I see:
1. Can only engage the synchro big->small down shift when shifting from the 25. I'd prefer this to happen in the 21 or 23 but the E-Tube software won't allow it.
2. In the little ring in manual mode I can't get into the 11 or 12. I understand shimano imposes this limitation for this crank/cog combo because it's not compatible with some frames.

My question:
Are there options to tell Shimano a different crank/cog combo to solve limitations. I'm mostly concerned with #1. I'm okay with the ratio on my computer being wrong.

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

You might be able to resolve #2 by telling it you have a 50/36 front or maybe a 53/39. I know I can get into the 39/12 combination on mine, I honestly don't pay much attention to if I can get into 39/11 as I start to get FD rub arround 39/13. I know at one point I was able to get into 36/11 when i was running compact, but don't recall what I had it set to in the software.

Regarding #1, from what I recall from Shimano's technical docs, there are only specific spots where it will shift the front ring in full syncro and there is no way to change it. Personally, this and the inability to change the shift order on semi-synchro, is the reason why I quit messing with it and went back to manual. I *think* I saw somewhere where someone re-flashed their Di2 with custom firmware to be able to get arround some of these limitations, but I honestly wouldn't try it.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

seahuston

by seahuston

Thanks for the feedback, I've been generally happy with the semi-synchro but it sounds like I'm still not going to be able to get what I want out of synchro for now. I've had enough issue in the past with firmware, I'm going to going to risk messing with the custom stuff.