us bicycle tariffs(no politics) impact on prices

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

In anticipation of the possible tariffs, we spoke with Bicycle Retailer’s Steve Frothingham on the CyclingTips podcast. Frothingham explained that consumers could feel the 25-percent tariff in terms of three-times the dollar amount of the tax that companies will have to pay. He gave the example of a USD$1,000 bike coming in from China would be hit with a USD$250 tax. After that bike makes its way through distributors and into local bike shop, the consumer could see a price increase of USD$750.

i beleive the trek madone/emonda carbon bikes are made in china by quest composite .

http://www.questcomposite.com/
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-office ... ariffs-200

...the additional tariffs will be effective starting September 24, 2018, and initially will be in the amount of 10 percent. Starting January 1, 2019, the level of the additional tariffs will increase to 25 percent.

Here is the tariff list as of yesterday (37 instances of 'bicycle'):

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/en ... .17.18.pdf

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 pm
i beleive the trek madone/emonda carbon bikes are made in china by quest composite .

They are made in Taiwan by Quest, but it doesn’t matter. The majority of bikes Trek sells are alloy fitness bikes like the FX, and if Trek can’t preserve its margins on those bikes, they will raise prices on every bike to mitigate the losses.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

fck, so it might be the best time to buy my new bike now.

justinn

by justinn

I just bought two sets of clinchers from Farsports.. shipping tomorrow, will be here next week.. a couple of days after the 10% tariff goes into affect. That really sucks.

Does anyone know if Farsports marks the retail value on the customs forms?

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Does everyone assume that China owns the market?
Last I checked, Taiwan was the major player in this industry.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

My Trek was made in the US of A.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

oldnslow2 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:31 am
My Trek was made in the US of A.
Project One was the last holdout for US made Treks. They made roughly 30 frames a day (one floor of a Taiwanese Quest factory can make more like 300 a day.) Trek quietly ended P1 US frame production last year...they just get ready to paint blanks shipped from Taiwan now.

Almost all their alloy bikes are made in China. I’m not sure if the Emonda ALR is.

AFAIK all the carbon bike are made in Taiwan except maybe the eBikes, which are made in China.

RussellS

by RussellS

mpulsiv wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:03 am
Does everyone assume that China owns the market?
Last I checked, Taiwan was the major player in this industry.
No Assumption to it. The vast majority of bicycles sold in the USA and everywhere else in the world, are made in China. Its possible the $5000+ highest end bikes are not made in China. But big bike companies sell 100 or 1000 of their $500-1000 bikes for every one of the high dollar bikes sold. I believe Shimano and SRAM make all or maybe all but the highest models in China. So not only does China make almost all the bikes, they also make almost all the parts on the bikes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RussellS wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:20 am
I believe Shimano and SRAM make all or maybe all but the highest models in China. So not only does China make almost all the bikes, they also make almost all the parts on the bikes.
It depends on what you mean by high end. I think anything Sora and above is made in Japan, Malaysia or Singapore. Tourney, Acera, Alivio level stuff could be made in China. SRAM's production is primarily in Taiwan AFAIK.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I lol at comments on the related bikeradar article on Facebook saying that Americans should start buying American then; unless they are looking for custom builds, I can't think of any mass market bikes that are built in the States. If the lower end Trek bikes all become 25% more expensive, I have no doubt that the Made-in-USA 700 series frames will also be more expensive to maintain the price difference between the different tiers. I've no doubt the American brands are going to get a hit on their sales figures.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

P1 and OCLV 700 frames are all made by Quest in Taiwan as of 2017.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I just chuckled louder

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Greenlawnracing

by Greenlawnracing

spartan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 pm
In anticipation of the possible tariffs, we spoke with Bicycle Retailer’s Steve Frothingham on the CyclingTips podcast. Frothingham explained that consumers could feel the 25-percent tariff in terms of three-times the dollar amount of the tax that companies will have to pay. He gave the example of a USD$1,000 bike coming in from China would be hit with a USD$250 tax. After that bike makes its way through distributors and into local bike shop, the consumer could see a price increase of USD$750.

So that could basically make a premium Trek (made in USA) or an Allied a "bargain" since the delta between a tarrif'd mid line bike and one of these would be greatly reduced?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

A fat man putting tariffs on bicycles LOL
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt