Madone VR-CF handlebar and TT clip-ons

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robeambro

by robeambro

Hi all,

I am considering the purchase of a new bike to also do the odd TT or triathlon.

I would have two questions: is there any currently available Bontrager (or any other) clip-on bars that would fit the VR-CF handlebar currently fitted on the Madone SLR?
If no, are there other non-PITA solutions?

And in general, for a completely clueless person, is it difficult to travel with a completely integrated bar + stem combo such as the SLR? I have no experience of these, so I don't know if they would make the bike quite tricky to get ready to fit in the travel bag.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

robeambro wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 pm
And in general, for a completely clueless person, is it difficult to travel with a completely integrated bar + stem combo such as the SLR? I have no experience of these, so I don't know if they would make the bike quite tricky to get ready to fit in the travel bag.
That'd largely depend on the type of bag you have. I use a Scicon AeroComfort bag which only really requires removal of the wheels.

https://eu.sciconbags.com/products/scic ... travel-bag

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

MayhemSWE wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:08 pm
That'd largely depend on the type of bag you have. I use a Scicon AeroComfort bag which only really requires removal of the wheels.

https://eu.sciconbags.com/products/scic ... travel-bag
Thanks - jeez, that's an expensive bag.

Meanwhile, I can answer the other question by myself, thanks to quicker-than-expected customer service from Trek: it is not possible to fit any clip-on bars to the SLR. Oh well, I guess no TT on the Madone..

izza

by izza

Not yet.

However, within the 2019 range they are releasing a ‘Madone Speed’. This has an arrangement for clip on bars to cater for what you want.

Ask your LBS to speak to their Rep about it. It’s not gone public but appeared on their B2B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

izza wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:00 pm
Not yet.

However, within the 2019 range they are releasing a ‘Madone Speed’. This has an arrangement for clip on bars to cater for what you want.

Ask your LBS to speak to their Rep about it. It’s not gone public but appeared on their B2B.

And, you're 100% sure of this? I just need to understand if I can include the Madone in the shortlist of bikes I can look at. :mrgreen:

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

https://www.jejamescycles.com/trek-mado ... -2019.html

advertised on UK dealer site , see description for confirmation of removable tt bars

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

robeambro

by robeambro

harvsurrey wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

advertised on UK dealer site , see description for confirmation of removable tt bars

Oh thanks!

robeambro

by robeambro

harvsurrey wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:56 pm

I have to add that I've questioned a Trek customer service agent, and he's pretending to be blind and not seeing that link. For now. I guess he doesn't want to say that he is in a bit of a pickle and can't comment on it.

Time will tell, I guess.

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

as the older 9 bars fit the new slr and vice versa you could fit the spacers and bar setup from a madone 9.0

I have a set of the spacers and stem sitting here so that's another route , then you can fit whatever bar you want .

as for travelling with the integrated bar and stem it's really not a huge effort to pack and unpack

robeambro

by robeambro

harvsurrey wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am
as the older 9 bars fit the new slr and vice versa you could fit the spacers and bar setup from a madone 9.0

I have a set of the spacers and stem sitting here so that's another route , then you can fit whatever bar you want .

as for travelling with the integrated bar and stem it's really not a huge effort to pack and unpack

Thanks! I'll check with the LBS in due course :mrgreen:

izza

by izza

Any Trek store will tell you that the old bars won’t fit the new SLR. The spacers have different shaped locking pins.

It is possible via some judicious grinding down of plastic tabs. Some shops will claim voiding of warranty etc. but push on with it. In fact, I may have my old ground down spacers!

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

izza wrote:Any Trek store will tell you that the old bars won’t fit the new SLR. The spacers have different shaped locking pins.

It is possible via some judicious grinding down of plastic tabs. Some shops will claim voiding of warranty etc. but push on with it. In fact, I may have my old ground down spacers!

how do the new bars fit the older Mad9 ?
just curious ,

the spacers for the bar/stem are not the same as the integrated ones that's for sure
So I guessed if the new bar fits the old bike it would swap the other way ,no ?

izza

by izza

It’s the locking pins that need to be ground down.

harvsurrey

by harvsurrey

on the spacers ??

albertop07

by albertop07

https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-madone-speed-2019

There's a picture here... Don't know it's real...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com