Need help with Giant TCR Advanced SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kingsolom0n

by kingsolom0n

Hey guys,

I need in some assistance in figuring out what cranks and brakes to use for my build. The rest of the build is SRAM Red mechanical so I'm leaning towards the Red 22 GXP cranks but I've seen some FSA SLK and K-Force Light cranks for much more attractive prices. Should I stick with SRAM or give FSA (or other suggestions) a try?

As far brakes, I've been thinking about Far and Near or the SRAM aerolink. Maybe my Google skills suck but I haven't been able to find much information about the Far and Near brakes. Fairwheel Bikes has them for $180 and I can find the SRAM Red brakes for around the same price. Which one should I go with or are there other reasonalbly priced decent weight brakes?

Thanks for the help!

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

if you go the FSA route, youre gonna need a special BB due to the spindle size of the FSA cranksets (30mm) in that bb86 shell
having dealt with that issue myself, a red gxp crankset fits best and shifts best FWIW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kingsolom0n

by kingsolom0n

Thanks didn't think the FSA would be much of an issue but I'll go with red gxp instead.

shotgun

by shotgun

You'll need this: https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/mega ... bb86-frame

For the brakes, brakes that are of Red price range but are lighter don't have the same stopping power. TRP/KCNC/F&N/etc will have compromises in performance, but will be lighter.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

parleez1

by parleez1

I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Advanced SL 0 Disc with SramRed etap, can anyone please give feedback on this bike, how do you like the ride, comfort, Giant wheels, Sram red etap?
Appreciate any feeback.

Thanks very much!

jlok

by jlok

parleez1 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 pm
I'm looking to purchase a 2018 Advanced SL 0 Disc with SramRed etap, can anyone please give feedback on this bike, how do you like the ride, comfort, Giant wheels, Sram red etap?
Appreciate any feeback.

Thanks very much!
I had the size S with CLX32/50. Wonderful bike. Climb great, acceleration is quick, feel very lively. eTap is good for this bike as the Di2 entry port under top tube is badly located.

Chainstay barely cleared conti gp4s2 28c. the widest I used was 29.5mm measured width 25c pro one.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

parleez1

by parleez1

jlok wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:41 am
parleez1 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:28 pm
Appreciate any feeback.

Thanks very much!
I had the size S with CLX32/50. Wonderful bike. Climb great, acceleration is quick, feel very lively. eTap is good for this bike as the Di2 entry port under top tube is badly located.

Chainstay barely cleared conti gp4s2 28c. the widest I used was 29.5mm measured width 25c pro one.
jLok, thanks for your feedback. Did you find this frame comfort rides over 50 miles? What was the weight of your bike? I’m looking at a M/L frame, so I’d imagine it would be a bit heavier. What year was your frame?
Thanks again!

jlok

by jlok

You may find some figures in the album.
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/oyFln

I did my 8-day Taiwan trip with it and I think the comfort is no problem.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Fsa has 24mm slk/kforce cranks.

Red cranks are of nice quality although you will need a gxp bb standard (unless you go shimano + adapter kit). Red/fsa chainrings aren't very light so if you're a ww you will maybe change those.

Dura-ace cranks have impressive front shifting quality. If you are looking for pure performance it might be a wise choice.

As for brakes, it depends on if you prefer performance/price/lightweight. Red brakes have a nice balance there, price being a bit higher. Performance is good. It would be a good choice for avoiding upgrading to disc brakes and previously having braking disappointments, tires hands etc.

If you are a light guy like 50-65kg and you don't ride in the alps, your choices increase. You can get away with a bit less performance.

I use on both my bikes fouriers/planet-x cnc brakes that I got 2nd hand for 40-50usd. They brake very well and weigh 40gr less than Sram red.