Cervelo S5 Disc 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxice

by maxice

Did I read somewhere that this was due for release Sep18th? Cant find any details on Cervelo.com?

coriordan

by coriordan

pushed back to 1/10 (or 10/1 if you're in the US) apparently. See 2019 Bike Roll Out thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

parajba wrote:
C36 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:36 am
Bluechip wrote:At first I agreed with C36 but it has grown on me the last few days. If I decide to get an aero bike it is on the list.
Assuming I accept the nonsense of the disc on an aero bike, I would go first toward the Trek madone or the Venge that still have an appealing look, this frame is surely fast, faster than my SSevo but it appears totally imbalanced (as current s5 btw)...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Have you ever done a rolling hill or flat race on carbon wheels in the rain? A race with tight corners, rain and perhaps in a group of several riders? It’s beyond me how people even question the usefulness of disc brakes tbh. Truth to be told, disc brakes are not required for ‘gentle’ club rides, coffee trips or perhaps pure hill climb races (I.e. short pure uphill races without having to descend perhaps when it rains). And this is coming from me, a cyclist who has ridden only rim brake bikes and until last year thought that disc brakes on road bikes were ugly, but my next purchase (this winter) will certainly be an aero road bike with disc brakes. I got used to the it at they look like. My major gripe with discs was mainly aesthetic as we are used to certain things, but it’s only a matter of time and discs will look absolutely normal on a bike and the rim brake will look outdated.

Just my 0.02c.
Didn’t want to hijack the thread and turn it into another disc / no disc war, but yes to all the above and yes it was tough... 20 years ago. With premium braking surface you are ok and if for any reason things turn into Armageddon mode... I switch to aluminium Exalith rims.... happened twice last year so I prefer having something more performant and with better road-behaviour 98% of the time.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Ritxis

by Ritxis

s5-1.png
s5.png

muti

by muti

Interesting in terms of the cable routing.I like the fact that the cables don't interfere with the headset/fork shaft(I think they are routed through the front of the fork "cover" and then to the downtube,that will leed to miminal restrictions of steering angles).What I don't like is the adjustability of the handlebar height(even thought I see some kind of weird puzzle spacers).Let's see if they will offer stems with different angles(and clearly indicate in the geometry charts the fork dropouts to handlebar min/max height with different stems).Let's wait the official release details,it's not that far away.

wingguy

by wingguy

muti wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:04 am
I think they are routed through the front of the fork "cover" and then to the downtube,that will leed to miminal restrictions of steering angles).
It's not a fork cover, it's a structural bayonet fork. The cables go straight down into the headtube from the top.
What I don't like is the adjustability of the handlebar height(even thought I see some kind of weird puzzle spacers).Let's see if they will offer stems with different angles(and clearly indicate in the geometry charts the fork dropouts to handlebar min/max height with different stems).
There is a 2.5mm spacer that can go between the stem and the handlebar (not really sure why, tbh) and handlebar tilt can be adjusted there as well. The main height adjustment is with spacers between the fork and stem. Apparently there will be scope for 4cm, but they admit it starts to look funky when it's more than 2cm stacked. Bar height would then be as if you were using a normal -8 stem with that same amount of spacers underneath.