Tarmac sl6 vs Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

P1madone9

by P1madone9

I think with the Madone I’ve avoided places I used to take my emonda. I would go to south mountain and climb and wanted to do Lemmon but with the Madone I avoid it. I guess it will come down to what kind of deal I can get on both

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

if you have the luxury of doing climbs, take a good look at the tarmac. its been a great bike.
had another friend switch at the same time and we're both impressed at how much fun it is to ride

P1madone9

by P1madone9

I’m hoping Sagan edition is still around at the end of the month

izza

by izza

I’ve just switched from Madone 9 H2 to a SLR H1.5 with low stem (i.e. H1 fit).

The old Madone definitely felt like I was violently shaking a big sail at the front sometimes when climbing out of the saddle. It was just too big in the headtube length to feel nimble.

The SLR is much better.

It still is not as nimble as my Emonda but the latter has 900g tubs on it and is solely built for climbing. In addition. the variable/aero stem and new ion light are chunkier and heavier. Once spring summer arrives I’ll be back to just Garmin with or without Go Pro.

As for comfort the SLR is more comfy than the 9. I have it on the comfiest setting and slammed my stem arrangement and concentrated on rotating the pelvis down when on flat/chaingang type rides. No back issues despite the more extreme position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

does it feel as fast as the madone9? they totally stepped up their paintwork, which was impressive

P1madone9

by P1madone9

ohjinguh9 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:31 pm
does it feel as fast as the madone9? they totally stepped up their paintwork, which was impressive

Did you have to change anything fit wise between Madone and tarmac? I’m 56 Madone (and my emonda when I had it) with 90mm stem currently. Curious if I would be the same or diff on tarmac

izza

by izza

First time out on the SLR I had it on the stiffest setting and it was very similar to 9. Since then tried it on comfy position.

Unsure if I’ll go back as it feels great. I tilted the saddle a touch lower and slammed the stem. Felt so different in terms of position there was concern in my mind I had gone too far. However, the lack of vibration and overall comfort has been fantastic.

I’ve nearly always been a 58. I have practised over years on getting a straighter back posture on the bike and rotating the hips - this has allowed me to become a bit more ‘aggressive’ in that in my latest fit I was encouraged to bring saddle forward and get a lower, 130mm stem.

The only time I went away from a 58cm was getting the Scott Foil in a 56cm size. I used a long 130 stem then. This was mainly due to 58cm frames being out of stock when I ordered. However, in retrospect it worked out well. The Foil frame felt very stiff and the long seat post added some suspension/flexibility.

izza

by izza

The reflective paint is not photogenic at all. This bike was so gorgeous I wanted it but they are only selling the burgundy/ grey option as a frameset.

P1madone9

by P1madone9

I’m torn I keep going back and forth on which bike to get. I love my Madone 9 and shops don’t have Tarmac SL6’s to take for a spin . I remember riding my emonda then taking a test on the Madone and was blown away

eric01

by eric01

Not photogenic? That’s beautiful! The women’s reflective purple color way is nice too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Toothengineer

by Toothengineer

Any conclusions here. I am looking at same options. Madone SLR 8 or Tarmac SL6 Ultralight. Decisions. Rolling hills here in Austin so not even sure which bike works better in my area.

izza

by izza

Toothengineer wrote:Any conclusions here. I am looking at same options. Madone SLR 8 or Tarmac SL6 Ultralight. Decisions. Rolling hills here in Austin so not even sure which bike works better in my area.
What size are you?

Toothengineer

by Toothengineer

I could ride a 54 or 56 of either bike. I am looking at a Madone SLR7 or a Tarmac SL6 Ultralight.

sychen

by sychen

If you are looking at rollers and you aren't the lightest build yourself.. I would say more aero is your friend. I this case the Madone.. Did you consider the venge?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

izza

by izza

Toothengineer wrote:I could ride a 54 or 56 of either bike. I am looking at a Madone SLR7 or a Tarmac SL6 Ultralight.
As Sychen says it depends on you and your frame not the bike frame size.

If you were a skinny mountain goat then play to your strengths and get a climbing machine. If you (like me) are a somewhat generous build then I’m never going to climb like Contador. At that point I am out of the saddle a lot and go for the aero for the bigger/stiffer BB area.

Where do you get most of your enjoyment from ? In or out of saddle? It’s the biggest smile on your face we are chasing - not Strava KOM’s (although there may be a correlation).