Does anyone make a completely alloy crit/aero bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I'm thinking about my next N+1, admittedly a few months away as i'm paying off my current lightweight bike. :roll:
I was thinking about something fast, like an aero bike. But I want something a bit tough, that can be thrown about a bit, raced in crits, put on planes etc. As much as I love my lightweight carbon climber I want something totally different, maybe deep carbon rims but with an alloy core and brake track, and maybe a traditional bar and stem with clip-on TT bars.

An Allez Sprint is the obvious bike, other than I'm thinking about reasonably aero alloy forks, the only carbon being the seatpost and wheel outers.

micky

by micky

Hoping not to change the subject of your topic, but as more than 1 wind tunnel test showed that an aero frame is not where you gain the most aero benefit, wouldn't it be better to concentrate on other stuff like wheels/aero bars (if it's possible to fit them with the geometry etc)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

alloy fork? haven't seen those in ages, and wouldn't it tarnish the handling? as for wheels: alloy + carbon = cosmics. they don't accelerate THAT quickly, but if you aim at kinda-sorta TTing, it's probably the way to go (BTW, TT extensions in crit racing? folks even do that?)

oh and Allez is on the higher end re: price. there are lots of other good frames, if you're not too heavy then probably any alloy frame from any given brand will tick the boxes. I'd go Italian, perhaps Dedacciai?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

merida make an aluminium reacto
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

Lewn777

by Lewn777

onemanpeloton wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am
merida make an aluminium reacto
As a frameset I really like the Reacto, but the wheels, tires, stem, seat and maybe stem, bar and crankset and look like garage clutter. :roll:
Problem is with this price point you have to buy the whole bike. But it's a good option.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You have some conflicting goals. Alloy aero frame. Alloy core carbon rims, why?

TT bars for a crit bike, why?

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Your request is all over the place. TT bars? Crit? Alloy fork?

Depending on the region you live in, besides the Specialized Allez mentioned, although not aero, the CAAD8/9/10/12 series really are the ultimate cheap, disposable alloy crit bike.

And I do agree that in many cases an alloy/carbon wheelset like the HED Jet6+ is a monster crit wheel.

Did the Giant Propel Alloy ever get into production?

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

As others have said, it's not clear to us what you are looking for. There are plenty of alu crit bike options - you can even go high end with builders a la Zanconato (just to mention one of many potential builders who will construct a frame in alu if you so desire).

As for aero bikes, that is another conversation, but please help us understand better your request.

And what is your ballpark budget figure? Where do you live?
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

AJS914

by AJS914

I gather he wrote "crit" bike but is simply talking about aero bikes.

If you want something on a budget look for something used. 1st gen Venges are pretty cheap and I'd guess that they are still pretty fast if you installed an aero road bar/stem and deep wheels. Along the same lines of thinking I'd bet that an Allez with a aero bar and wheels is also pretty fast.

Honfu/Denfu have some aero frames in their catalog and you can get the whole frame for $600.

WheelNut

by WheelNut

Hmm, I think I see what you are saying: Fast on the flats and durable. The Allez Sprint is definitely you're #1 choice here. Aero seatpost and some aero shaping elsewhere on the bike. Otherwise like some others have mentioned get a CAAD12 or similar and mount aero parts to it. I typically operate on a pretty tiny budget- this is what I would build:
1. Aluminum frame of whatever kind and vintage (maybe find a used Giant TCR alloy) or Spesh Sprint
2. Used Zipp 404 tubs (the ones with 10 speed hubs- because cheap) + Vittoria Corsa G+ tires or build up some AForce Al33 rims into wheels
3. Tiagra 4700 shifters, derailleurs and brakes
4. Discounted lightweight crankset from some UK shop
5. Carbon Aero bars or Bontrager alloy aero bars (alloy will be cheaper to replace in a crash)
6. Aftermarket Aero seat post
7. Aero kit - jersey, shoe covers, helmet, etc

That is probably all acheivable for under $2000-1500.

Oh, and you're probably not going to find an alloy fork that fits your needs, so just go carbon there. If durability is a big concern get a fork with alloy drop outs and steerer tube.

taodemon

by taodemon

I know you said aluminum but you can get some pretty good deals on the entry level venge elite (probably sub 2000) and you get a bike that should be a bit more aero than the allez comp for not much more money. If there wasn't a particular frame color I wanted in the allez I would go venge personally.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

WheelNut wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:22 pm
Hmm, I think I see what you are saying: Fast on the flats and durable. The Allez Sprint is definitely you're #1 choice here. Aero seatpost and some aero shaping elsewhere on the bike. Otherwise like some others have mentioned get a CAAD12 or similar and mount aero parts to it. I typically operate on a pretty tiny budget- this is what I would build:
1. Aluminum frame of whatever kind and vintage (maybe find a used Giant TCR alloy) or Spesh Sprint
2. Used Zipp 404 tubs (the ones with 10 speed hubs- because cheap) + Vittoria Corsa G+ tires or build up some AForce Al33 rims into wheels
3. Tiagra 4700 shifters, derailleurs and brakes
4. Discounted lightweight crankset from some UK shop
5. Carbon Aero bars or Bontrager alloy aero bars (alloy will be cheaper to replace in a crash)
6. Aftermarket Aero seat post
7. Aero kit - jersey, shoe covers, helmet, etc

That is probably all acheivable for under $2000-1500.

Oh, and you're probably not going to find an alloy fork that fits your needs, so just go carbon there. If durability is a big concern get a fork with alloy drop outs and steerer tube.
Nice job - that's a great list. I happen to agree 100% if you're talking 'crit bike' that 10speed is the cheap, extremely effective way to go. And for used Zipp tubies - heck yeah, them or Reynolds or darn near any used 10 speed tubular wheels are extremely inexpensive these days. Put on some great tires (don't use tubular tape please, if you're racing crits, please don't crash me out) and go nuts.

I might add my version of a cheap build would be:
+Used CAAD 9/10, +Bontrager alloy aero bars, +Reynolds tubular wheels with your choice of super grippy tubulars, +used 23mm/17 internal alloy training wheels, +SRAM Rival 10speed group.

I think with frugal shopping you could do for $1200 or less USD. Or find one built up - talk to your friends that race- and save even more.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

For Crits I’m actually starting to see alu as a downside now I’ve seen loads of carbon repairs, good luck repairing aluminium.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:15 pm
TT bars for a crit bike, why?
To ride some TTs per season of course.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Matt28NJ wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:54 pm
Did the Giant Propel Alloy ever get into production?
yep... but only available in asia unfortunately

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com