And yet another Evo HiMod Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Been going back and forwards on whether I wanted to do another WW build, have decided to go for it.

Bought the frame set on fleabay for getting towards half the price of my CAAD12 frameset, with a view to stripping it back to raw.

Having ridden it over the summer, it’s a keeper and will be my winter bike (!) instead of the 12 (although I’m not sure it will end up being used in good weather alongside my BMC).

Picture below of the summer build.

Weights before stripping (and with not hanger, etc) - 819g for the frame, 284g for the fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Nice colour IMO. Sure it could do with one or two fewer of the 'Supersix Evo' names, but I'd be tempted to leave it as is or maybe just strip the fork?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I had a sneaking suspicion someone might suggest I stick with it!

My family (all girls) tell me that black is boring and they like it... I can’t help liking the ninja look

One reason for the strip is that there is some chain damage near the rear hanger and on the B.B. - the forks are also not a great colour match to the frame.

Have been kicking around either:

- keeping as it, and getting it touched up,
- going raw (and shoot for a sub 5kg build)
- translucent (like allied cycles)or
- maybe going for chameleon (like the s works SL6 pro)

Had decided on raw ... now not so sure....

calv1n

by calv1n

I bought exactly the same frame on eBay - 52cm. Also had chips around chainstay, so got it stripped by Kustomflow. Frame alone went from 880 to 680g.

Much as I liked the old colour I prefer it now. Total build 6.3kg

ImageImage

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Calv1n - I am surprised it’s not lighter? Looks fab though!

Nixster

by Nixster

I have the same frame in a 52 now just under 6kg at 5995g.

I have contemplated different options with the paint too, I really like the orange. if I was keeping it I think I'd go for plain orange with just a black "Cannondale" logo on the DT and the "C" on the HT.

There are too many black bikes out there! But each to their own...

octave

by octave

ah ha-- i have that frame paint design scheme but with black and white instead of orangered and white....

i was thinking of stripping it, but not sure i have the courage myself. kustomflow i see is in the UK. does anyone know a reputable place in the US to get a frame stripped and repainted?

thanks!

p.s. i would be tempted not to strip that orangered color. i have seen it in person and really like it!

calv1n

by calv1n

Beancouter wrote:Calv1n - I am surprised it’s not lighter? Looks fab though!

Thanks BC, yes, I think the weight’s mainly due to ETAP, Quarq PM, and bora 50mm clinchers... I like the functionality of all those bits though so probably won’t try to get any lighter at the moment. Plus, it’s possibly too light already - back wheel lift on hard hill sprints!

ukracer

by ukracer

Hi ,

How much does Kustomflow charge for this and do you know the process they use for removing the paint?

calv1n

by calv1n

I think it was around £390 - not cheap, but fully hand-sanded, which is a big ol’ job and it ended up looking great. Worth the money IMO, especially considering the frame was £800 on eBay, so I’ve got a frame I’d choose over a brand new one at half the price (and is lighter).

Beancouter

by Beancouter

So frame back. Weight is 758 for frame (excl rear hanger) and 277 for fork. Just in time for a build over Christmas....

3Pio

by 3Pio

Beancouter wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:12 pm
Been going back and forwards on whether I wanted to do another WW build, have decided to go for it.

Bought the frame set on fleabay for getting towards half the price of my CAAD12 frameset, with a view to stripping it back to raw.

Having ridden it over the summer, it’s a keeper and will be my winter bike (!) instead of the 12 (although I’m not sure it will end up being used in good weather alongside my BMC).

Picture below of the summer build.

Sorry to ask someting not so connected to ur project, but maybe u can help me.. Im also in pre building Cannondale phase (CAAD12)..

This bike will be ridden also by my gf... I just noticed that fork expander which is coming with the frameset is going not so deep in the fork, and also i saw the Cannondale suggest after cutting the fork there should be not spacers above the stem (i guess they want fork expander to be in stem area, and stem to clamp on fork with fork expander around there).

The problem is i'll need 5-10mm spacers under the stem, and my gf will need as high as possible (about 30mm spacers under the stem), which put need of around 25mm spacers above the stem when i'll ride it.. In that case Fork Expander is going just a little bit in stem area... So is it ok to ride like this (i can see on ur picture there is also plenty of spacers above the stem), or i should order new Fork Expander which will be longer then the original to be able to run stack of spacers above the stem safely.. If all this void warranty or make it dangerous there would be two possabilites :) ..

One: My gf will have to ride on same spacers height as i do, and Second she'll have to ride my old FP3 only which i intended to sell as soon as i build CAAD12 they way i described...

BTW, im very curouos of final weight of ur project...

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Not sure I am well qualified on the expander question - you might want to post in the general chat thread.

In my case, I was holding back cutting the fork in case I didn’t keep the frame. I will cut to length as part of my build.

hannawald

by hannawald

Nice:) I like colours but prefere stripped version..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is the newer evo himod with the thin fork the frame to get or can the old one also make a really light bike?

What of stiffness? Any difference? Do both have PF30A bottom brackets or does the old one use BB30A? Without the cups you save 20gr no?