Trek Madone 2019????

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikepress

by bikepress

Hi boys and girls

So early in the year I was fighting between a Madone vs Emonda, due to a injure in my left meniscus I went save and both the Émonda SLR with XXX6 wheels and some more bits and pieces. Final weight 6.5 with peddles!

The Madone is sexier then ever, but I love the ride on the emonda and i´m resistant to change because!

??????????
Weight: disk and etap 7.65kg (with peddles 7.85kg can’t the bike be a elephant) ?
How the weight feels in climbing? (in my living area is very hard to make evem 1000m ascent in a 100km ride) because next some I have a ride in Suisse Alps for a week… how is the bike in hills do we feel it the extra weight and less responsive?
Shoud I stay with rim break or go disk?

Big one now!

Is true that a light bike, with a 60mm wheels like in my case we get the almost the same aero coefficient, or close enough? Because TCR´s, Tramac´s, Adict and and and… still are the rule in the pro´s! is areo just to sell sexy bikes that in the end had nothing to the regular joe rides!?

Help? Should I change, should I not? I never rode a aero bike that’s why all the questions!

Any one that and went from aero to light/all a round bike and the other way?

Thank you for the help
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Maybe you should try one out?

I went from aero to lightweight and am happy with the change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Depends what you want from your bike. Are you looking for a bike that will go as fast as your watts will take you. Do you even ride with a power meter?

The most versatile setup at the moment is something like an aero-lightweight bike (R5, S-Works Tarmac), paired with a shallow and deep wheelset. Medium or long cage derailleur. Some different chainring combos. That would be enough to be super quick in pretty much every situation.

As for 'aero' bikes.. they don't really feel different to more traditional bikes. It's just a bike, but fatter. Madone will handle a bit differently here and there to what you're used to at the moment, but you adjust naturally and then it becomes normal and uneventful.

The whole aero thing only really makes a significant different if you start min/maxing. Aero frame, tight kit, deep wheels, feel fresh, start putting the power down and get low. Then you start 'sailing'. That's a genuine thing you can feel and appreciate. You and your bike can hold speed once you get it all dialed in and it feels fun.

A lot of the time though it doesn't matter. For me, I'm getting blown around in the wind, grinding over constantly changing rough terrain and unable to maintain high speeds. Any bike would do to just get the ride done and back home. So what matters next is that the bike looks like it was sent by the tech priests on Mars with the promise of free speed when I get a decent day. And the Madone definitely checks that box. Which is why I'd never be seen dead on an Emonda, but would spend all day drooling over instagram pics of Madones.

But enough about Treks. The Omnissiah is about to bless us with a new gift next week ;)

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

Also went from aero to lightweight (madone9 to SWSL6)
No complaints here either, would not go back

AJS914

by AJS914

You already have the 60mm wheels on the Emonda so you are half way there with the aero. You could put aero road bars on the Emonda, get an aero helmet, shave your legs, and wear an aero race jersey. Then you would be most of the way there. An aero frame will buy you a handful of watts. Only you can decide if they are worth it.

sailnfast

by sailnfast

Looking at this bike as well...very sexy. Been on an aero Cervelo, but interested in the Madone though also considering going non-aero super light.

ScottinFL

by ScottinFL

Agree with most of what has been said. I've been looking and evaluating SL6, Venge, Madone, TMR01, SLR01, and what I've come to realize is that the difference between "aero" and "non-aero" these days is minimal. In fact, the difference between any of the bikes is minimal -- something like +/- 4 watts saved at 40 kmh.

And, that difference goes down because you're not going to be able to emulate the test riders (or mannequins) low coefficient of drag that these bikes are tested with because (a) you don't weigh 140 lbs.; and (b) you cannot hold the extreme aero position that they can.

So, you might as well just consider all of the latest bikes about equal and just pick based on which one floats your boat more than the others. Whatever you do, don't fall for all of the marketing hype about aero bikes and how much faster they'll make you -- because they won't.

Now that said, if you live where there are mountains and you expect to be climbing enough for it to be a consideration, then the aero bikes should be out anyway, and you might as well pick something very lightweight.

ohjinguh9

by ohjinguh9

^^this.

All of the rides I do are totally flat, with some super fast groups and lots of sprint points.
Nothing has changed subjectively or objectively for me after switching from an aero frame to my tarmac, and even after switching to slightly less aero wheels too.
Plus the sprightliness of a 14lb bike with a superstiff BB cant be beat

bikepress

by bikepress

So!

This is the point!

All you guys say is very true, and I have 0 complains about my bike, and the guys in aero bike don’t drop me, and the bike fells like a cloud due to the reduce weight.

The last race I did was in Agust and with Av 42km/h in 109km and it was marvellous in front of the pack, or in the middle!

No I don’t ride a power meter because for times I can ride during the week (best case scenario 4 times in 7 days, but I commute every day by bike to work) it doesn’t make much sense!

So but I don’t want to die with out own a aero bike, the bike is on sale, if some one gives me a good offer I will sell it… if not I will keep it and wait for EuroMillions!

Some say the feel of the bike is ever thing and for me she feels … … very awesome!

This is why want to… but I don’t have to move to a aero bike and my be I will not like it at all!

Thank you all!

But if any one have more opinions feel free to share
:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:
Attachments
41325659_1065886480243245_5754441090631467008_n.jpg

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Looking for any infos about new Madone SLR.

I´ve just got an special offer at £4.5k for new SLR 6(Ultegra equipped rim brake option) at my lbs https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... lity_black

Any thoughts about frame weight, BB and front end stiffness and overall ride quality? It is still so much money to spend compared to let´s say Cervelo S5 2018, now at £2.6k.

Thanks for all inputs!

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, I like the Emonda just fine. It is stiff. It is light. It is stable. It is everything you could ever want in an all-around road race bike. With an SRM and deep race wheels, it is also just UCI-legal. As a 'conventional' road race bike, when you run it with deep wheels, its stiffness translates into a lot of road vibration. Now, I will add that my bike is Contador's former race bike and that the carbon layup may not be exactly stock, but yours would still ride really stiff.

Now, the thing with the Madone is that on top of the fact that it is aero and reasonably light, it also rides really soft. Due to the big aero tube profiles, it is very stiff in the bottom bracket and the headtube. I am a little guy (5' 9", 130...yeah, big fattie right now), but I can produce about 1,200 watts. That bike is even stiffer than the Emonda. If this bike was a 'conventional' aero bike, your hands would be buzzing for hours after just 100km. The suspension system makes it ride so nicely, you could ride it forever. Mine is Pantano's Tour race bike, but I am told it has a layup that is the same as the H1 that you can buy.

I really like both bikes. Since this is WW, I should probably say you should buy the Emonda, but that Madone is probably the better bike for the real world. In either event, you will not be unhappy.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Thanks for input. If the 2019 version is the same layup as 2017 RSL, it should be one of the stiffest aero bikes according test I found: https://www.velonews.com/bike-review/20 ... uct_search
BTW friend of mine rides an Emonda SLR and it´s not so stiff as say R5 or Ultimate SLX.

Your Madone is great, I believe. I just hope there is no layup change in 2019 SLR, because they changed geometry a bit too, for 2019 there is only H1.5, not H1. I am not considering Emonda, I am interested in Madone because of it´s aero and technical benefits and of course look. I am riding Aeroad now, realy great and light bike, but I can feel the BB flex a bit during sprint, but maybe it´s just in my head...anyway it cannot compare with Ultimate in stiffness.

About weight, if Madone will be below 7kg on Di2 and tubulars, I´d be happy, I know it is not light climbing frame.

Geoff

by Geoff

I think you'll get pretty close. As you go deeper in the wheel department, though, you will be over 7kg with the SRM. I run Look pedals, so that adds some weight, too. I think you'll be happy with the stiffness. It is really solid.

I haven't recieved my 'new' rides yet, but I am a bit concerned about the H1.5.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

Agree, I think H1 would be better and more aero, but H1.5 without spacers under stem should do the job...

Geoff

by Geoff

I think it might still be ok. It looks like there is more setback available on the seatmast than before and I believe that there is a 140mm stem, so a smaller frame still gets a headtube with the bars low enough for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com