S-Works Tarmac Disc vs Canyon Ultimate Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dekkars

by Dekkars

Looking to finally replace my Supersix Evo Hi-Mod with something new and I've come down to these two. Unfortunately, I haven't ridden either and I probably won't ever get the chance to ride the Canyon before I possibly purchase it.

I'm just looking at the frames, going to spec it out afterwards. Currently have e-Tap on my Cannondale, along with SISL cranks and a power meter that will make the transfer.

I can get the Tarmac for 3500, and the Canyon for 2750. Weight is within 20g of one another (800g vs 820g). Is the Tarmac worth the extra $750 that I could spend on a nice pair of wheels? Is there any other frame around this price range that I should be aware of?

Thoughts on wheels? I was going to go with Zipp 303s but really open to suggestions. Would like tubeless.

Thanks for input!
Last edited by Dekkars on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Dekkars wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:20 pm
Looking to finally replace my Supersix Evo Hi-Mod with something new and I've come down to these two. Unfortunately, I haven't ridden either and I probably won't ever get the chance to ride the Canyon before I possibly purchase it.

I'm just looking at the frames, going to spec it out afterwards. Currently have e-Tap on my Cannondale, along with SISL cranks and a power meter that will make the transfer.

I can get the Tarmac for 3500, and the Canyon for 2750. Weight is within 20g of one another (800g vs 820g). Is the Tarmac worth the extra $850 that I could spend on a nice pair of wheels? Is there any other frame around this price range that I should be aware of?

Thoughts on wheels? I was going to go with Zipp 303s but really open to suggestions. Would like tubeless.

Thanks for input!
Well you'll have to get the 303 NSW's to get tubeless.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Dekkars

by Dekkars

Are these NSW and I just don't realize it? https://www.zipp.com/wheels/303-firecre ... isc-brake/

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Dekkars wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:24 pm
Are these NSW and I just don't realize it? https://www.zipp.com/wheels/303-firecre ... isc-brake/
Sorry, my bad. I was thinking Firecrest clinchers which don't offer tubeless set up. The Disk version does.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

dcorn

by dcorn

With disc wheels, the name brand doesn't quite matter as much since you don't have to worry about the technology that went into the resin to improve braking and resist heat deformation. From what I've read, I'd go with Hunt carbon disc wheels to get a wide, tubeless setup. They are only $1200 or so for 50mm.

As for the bike, I just jumped from years on an SL4 S-works Tarmac to a disc Aeroad and don't regret it whatsoever. The Canyon frame is every bit as nice as the Specialized and the full bike was less than what I was going to pay for a team deal Tarmac Pro disc.

Dekkars

by Dekkars

I'll check out the Hunt's!

I was also just made aware that the PF86 BB of the Canyon could be an issue with my Cannondale SISL BB30 Cranks. Looks like this issue has been brought up before and that http://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/ro ... -4130.html could be an answer.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Dekkars wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:33 pm
I was also just made aware that the PF86 BB of the Canyon could be an issue with my Cannondale SISL BB30 Cranks. Looks like this issue has been brought up before and that http://rotorbike.com/catalog/default/ro ... -4130.html could be an answer.
Nope, the Cannondale cranks can only be fitted to a true BB30 or PF30 frame which is 68 mm wide. It definitely will not work with the wider shell of a BB86 or BB386 frame.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:22 pm
Well you'll have to get the 303 NSW's to get tubeless.
Not true at all. Stan's tape can convert these rims successfully. I rode a set of converted 303FC's for years, until I sold them back in 2015.

dton13

by dton13

What size are you looking at?

I haven't ridden the S works disc but have the Ultimate disc. I would look at the geo charts carefully before deciding since you can't ride it. The Ultimate geo (for the smaller sizes anyways) have a pretty slack head angle, and they all have longer chainstays - 410mm I believe. This definitely makes it slower handling than my previous Cannondales (50cm). I think the Tarmac would be the better handling bike and would have fit me perfectly as I tend to like longer reach and shorter stacks, but it was out of my price range.

Another thing to consider is that Canyon's use an oversized steerer (1 1/4") which is annoying if you play around with your fit often.

Dekkars

by Dekkars

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:50 pm
Dekkars wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:33 pm
Nope, the Cannondale cranks can only be fitted to a true BB30 or PF30 frame which is 68 mm wide. It definitely will not work with the wider shell of a BB86 or BB386 frame.
Ouch.

My biggest issue is that I have a Power2max power meter/spider on there that I would rather not replace. Does anyone make a PF86 crank set that interfaces with the cannondale spider system? Or would this be impossible given the tolerances.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Dekkars wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 am
My biggest issue is that I have a Power2max power meter/spider on there that I would rather not replace.
Then you may want to get the Tarmac as the Cannondale crank should be able to fit Specialized's OSBB. Then again, with the money saved on the Ultimate and selling the Power2Max you could probably get a brand new power meter and still have money in the pocket…

You don't specify any location or currency so not sure if you're talking Dollars or Euros, but I just recently bought a used Ultimate CF SLX Disc frameset for €1500 including the cockpit and seatpost. Going to have it repainted in a snazzy new color and take my time building it up over the winter!