Hollowgram crank removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TMI

by TMI

I have a 2001 Cannondale R4000Si CAAD6 that I have considered either selling or making into a dedicated foul-weather bike. The hindrance has been a stubborn drive side crank arm that I could not remove. After more than two years, I finally devised a modified approach based on the principle of a gear puller.

I tried the conventional tools with no success. I used an ancient Park CCP-1 on the NDS crank arm, but the extraction threads just stripped out. Riding with the crank arm bolt removed eventually loosened the NDS arm. I tried the KT-013 on the DS arm, but I didn’t realize that those extraction threads had already been stripped out by a previous owner or mechanic.

Finally, I wrapped some heavy (9ga) gauge steel wire around each of the spider’s arms and secured it to a 3/8” carriage bolt fitted inside the spindle. Using the smaller part of the KT-013 to push the bolt upwards, the crank arm finally popped free. Here are a few photos.

Now that I have the crank removed, I am wondering if I should have the bearings replaced? They're probably original to the bike, but they still feel smooth, and the BB has never creaked. The bike probably has over 12,000 miles on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com