Gonna do a PROPER Weight Weenie Izalco Max / Chorus build report

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asiantrick

by asiantrick

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:06 pm
asiantrick wrote:To the OP, please upgrade the FSA headset bearing asap. I cracked the bottom bearing twice with very low mileage on the bike. The FSA bearing is superlight but it's super fragile, and easily cracked. I upgraded to full Enduro bearing for my headset. It's a bit heavier but it's very durable and silky smoth. I also upgraded the compression plug since the stock one is heavy as fck and it slips after every 3 rides.
What were the symptoms of a cracked bottom headset bearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grinding sound when turning the handlebar. It drove me nut trying to figure out where it was coming from. I thought it came from my Jagwire links cable, so I grease the cable down with WD40 and the noise was still there. I ended up took the whole headset apart, and found that the plastic cover on the bottom bearing cracked. That piece is super thin, so it was a matter of time.

I compared my Enduro bearing vs the FSA. The Enduro uses a flexible rubber on the bottom (very similar to Ritchey bearing) to cover the bearing while FSA use a thin plastic cover. I contacted FSA to figure out why this happened and is this a torque issue, yet they can't give me a direct answer. Cost me $100 to replace the bearing twice, and I could only get the FSA from Europe. Imo, I think the FSA design has some major flaws. Long story short, I've been on the Enduro bearing for 6 months now and everything still silky smooth.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Good to know. Thank you!

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:07 pm
JerryLook wrote: I asked a seller for the frame and fork weight for a 54cm Izalco Race frame. He said
Frame- 1135g
Fork- 350g
I wonder why they weigh so much. Maybe a beefed up frame to handle crashes?
I imagine this is how the conversation went:

Engineers: “We can make the Race model 50grams heavier than the Max”
Acccounting: “How much money do we save?”
Engineers: “What is this saving money?”
Marketing: “Listen, we need to make the Max much lighter so people understand the added value of the big price difference”
Sales: “Give us 4 models we can sell, don’t make this easy for our customers”
Accounting: “Well 2 of them have to cost much less to manufacture”
Engineers: “Done!”
Follow-up year end fiscal report meeting -
CEO: “Why were our sales on the Izalco so low?”
CMO: “It’s not our fault, we gave our customers choices”
COO: “We made them light or affordable”
CFO: “Sorry I’m late for a golf game, gotta jet”
CEO: “ok, let’s clear them out”
COO: “great! Now about 2019, we are thinking aero, everyone’s talking about it”

Lol. I think that’s pretty accurate.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

Jugi

by Jugi

JerryLook wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:58 pm
I asked a seller for the frame and fork weight for a 54cm Izalco Race frame. He said
Frame- 1135g
Fork- 350g
I wonder why they weigh so much. Maybe a beefed up frame to handle crashes?
I just weighed my Specialized Tarmac Pro SL3 frameset (size 56, color white, model year 2011) for fun. It was 1540g including fork, seatpost clamp, headset bearings, expander + top cap, all original cable fittings + adjusters, bottle cage bolts and RD+FD hangers. My current build around that frame is 6,86kg. So about seven years ago, 1500g for a 56 frameset with a bright paintjob was reasonable, I quess.

robertg

by robertg

For those of you who don't know, Piermont Bike, in Piermont, NY is a brick and mortar bike shop. I bought my BMC there for a smoking deal. Glenn is the owner. I ride there frequently as they have a nice little cafe in the shop. The pic is of me and my son in Piermont Bike.
2018-04-28 11.35.34.jpg

kode54

by kode54

Yes. Piermont is a great stop. I know Glenn (with glasses on head behind counter) and Frankie there. I haven't bought anything since they started their eBay gig...but great place and customer service. I used to bike up that way when I lived in NYC...frequently going up to Nyack at the cafe stop there. The police are cracking down on cyclist around Piermont, so if you ride up there, you need to single up or else risk getting a ticket. I've seen a few get pulled over.

Cafe area used to be where they had their cycling apparel. Have to stop in one of these days.
robertg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:16 pm
For those of you who don't know, Piermont Bike, in Piermont, NY is a brick and mortar bike shop. I bought my BMC there for a smoking deal. Glenn is the owner. I ride there frequently as they have a nice little cafe in the shop. The pic is of me and my son in Piermont Bike.

2018-04-28 11.35.34.jpg
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

robertg

by robertg

kode54 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:04 pm
Yes. Piermont is a great stop. I know Glenn (with glasses on head behind counter) and Frankie there. I haven't bought anything since they started their eBay gig...but great place and customer service. I used to bike up that way when I lived in NYC...frequently going up to Nyack at the cafe stop there. The police are cracking down on cyclist around Piermont, so if you ride up there, you need to single up or else risk getting a ticket. I've seen a few get pulled over.

Cafe area used to be where they had their cycling apparel. Have to stop in one of these days.
Unfortunately, that is very true. We are always very cautious with the police in Piermont and Nyack. Cyclists get pulled over all the time. Lots of tickets being given out. Single file in that area always, and make sure you come to complete stops at stop signs. But those 2 towns still see a massive amount of cycling traffic.

As far as Piermont Bike, they still have a lot of apparel there.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

holy MOTHER OF GOD !!!!

the thing nearly shot out from underneath me when i tried to mount her for an around-the-block, fitting test ride !!!!

i don't have a final build-weight but it is noticeably lighter than the Look 585 (15.5 lbs with pedals, different wheels), and has significantly more acceleration than my De Rosa Protos (16.5 lbs w/pedals).

wheels are HED Ardenese/Belgium 18-24, Conti GP4K

i'll post more pictures with individual weights soon.

i was skeptical, and maybe that 1/5-mile test ride was deceptive. but this thing is a significant step up. "game-changing" comes to mind.
Last edited by Catagory6 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

not sure how i'll get a total weight since i only have that table-top scale
can't take it to the local shop. that'll be yet ANOTHER bike i didn't purchase from them

i'm going to take it for a 50+ mile ride tomorrow

i want to do a comparison between the ardenese/belgium combo, and the pacenti sl23/forza (20/28) i have on the Look, to see if there's a significant difference.
i'm pretty sure they are just about the same weight.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

With all that money you saved on this frame, you could buy a bike scale.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

Catagory6

by Catagory6

some other parts weights

Full length cables, and 4 feet of brake housing, 4 feet of shifter housing (172g)

Compression Plug - 41g

Fizik Arione Kium + Ultimate USE Alien Seatpost - 388g

Catagory6

by Catagory6

wasn't able to do the 50-mile'er. but i did get out for a local, 6-mile hill climb. and i have to say that the old E. Merckx saying still holds true:

don't buy upgrades, ride up grades...

WITH AN IZALCO MAX !!!!
and the the acceleration!! wow!! i wasn't really exaggerating when i said it nearly bucked me off the rear end when i clipped in.
riding on level road i can feel the bike lurch forward with every pedal stroke

the last time i did this climb with the De Rosa was on the 20th
midway point: 16:56
finishing time: 31:06

i purposely left the speed sensor off the bike, so i wouldn't be tempted by the numbers. i just wanted to go off of perceived excersion
midway: 16:00
finishing time: 29:10

and i wasn't going any harder than the previous time (PR, 3 years ago: 14:59 - 27:30-ish)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I experience the same surge in momentum with spirited pedalling.

Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

What kind of skewers do you use?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

gramsqueen wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:05 am