Campagnolo is working on its wireless EPS electronic transmission

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

Will the version that will come out in the coming months will always be based on a wired solution? Nothing is less certain if one judges on these patents. It shows that since at least 2016, Campagnolo is working on the subject of wireless and the latest version of this patent, which dates from this year, is even more precise.

3 patents are therefore interesting to study and evoke several technical solutions. In my opinion, the group Campagnolo EPS 12 speeds that will be released at the end of the year will be wireless!

You can read my article about these 3 patents : https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... s-sans-fil
Sorry, it's in French, but you can use a translator.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

That thing on the picture wants some mud on it. That RD doesn’t match a FD. ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Broady

by Broady

Wireless Super Record would be a big move, hopefully it happens. Dread to think how much it would cost.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

The first FD looks horrible. One point of wireless derailleurs is its cleanness and beauty, but Campagnolo still manages to expose cables outside...?

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

The first FD is an old patent. The second FD is more recent.

jlok

by jlok

please cc this thread to SRAM and push them releasing eTap 2x12-speed sooner.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Cemicar wrote:The first FD looks horrible. One point of wireless derailleurs is its cleanness and beauty, but Campagnolo still manages to expose cables outside...?
To file a patent all that’s needed is a sketch, which in this case they made using drawings from their current products. The real production derailleurs will for sure much tidier.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So it looks like Campagnolo is trying to skirt SRAM’s patent on derailleur mounted batteries by 1) describing their battery mounting position as not on the support structure of the derailleur (cage of FD and knuckle of RD.) and 2) making them non-removable, charge in-place.

It looks messy TBH...especially not a fan of small rechargeable batteries that can’t be swapped with spares.

pedale

by pedale

MatosVelo wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:31 am

3 patents are therefore interesting to study and evoke several technical solutions. In my opinion, the group Campagnolo EPS 12 speeds that will be released at the end of the year will be wireless!
I don't think that campagnolo will rush the 12s wireless, they are the only one providing that many gears on road and the wired electric ones won't stop working: they'll have less problem making EPS 12 wired first, check answer from the 2 (or 3) others and release the wireless version. Big spenders will buy the two versions which in the end will make even more revenues for campi

LionelB

by LionelB

Unfortunately I hear that EPS v4 12s will be wired. The fact that wireless will come "eventually" is obvious. My interest is more short term :)

caballero

by caballero

Campy will not be wireless for at least another 5 years.

Eps 12 first gen will be wired. Look for gen 2 to begin wireless.

g00se

by g00se

Hi,

I've been following the campag wireless patents too. As well as wireless, they have been releasing patents for hydraulic one-way clutches - which is the large knuckle you see in MatosVelo's post.

(The clutch patent details are: http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20170355423.pdf)

There's now a new patent for the deisgn of a rear mech to allow for displacements against a wide-range cassette. What's also interesting is the image of the mech which includes the clutch and wireless battery in a more polished design:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20180281899.pdf

Drappo

by Drappo

I always thought that Campy had bought the tiso 12 speed patent, I expect Campy to come out with the tiso 12 speed wireless system.
Alhoa

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com