Panaracer R'Air, Vred latex and Supersonics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hex

by Hex

akaspin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 am
Using Revoloop.white (just another plastic tubes). Loving them.
Had a read about them and asked someone else on the forum to weigh in on feel.

Said user said he pumps his tires to 8bar (~115psi) and he feels not too different to latex or butyl.

It's an expensive ticket for not much improvement over butyl other than weight. Vredestein's latest some at around 55g already so not sure what much more of a gain I can get with the revoloops/tubolitos.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Hex wrote:
akaspin wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:23 am
Using Revoloop.white (just another plastic tubes). Loving them.
Had a read about them and asked someone else on the forum to weigh in on feel.

Said user said he pumps his tires to 8bar (~115psi) and he feels not too different to latex or butyl.

It's an expensive ticket for not much improvement over butyl other than weight. Vredestein's latest some at around 55g already so not sure what much more of a gain I can get with the revoloops/tubolitos.
Anyone who inflate up to 8bar (~115psi) isn’t wise, even if the rider is pushing 100kg. Why in the world would someone do this in today’s day and age?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Maybe he's on 19mm.

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I run the Vredestein latex tubes in both carbon wheels and in my winter training alu ones. My spare tubes are always Conti Supersonic as I find them less fragile when in the jersey pocket.

In terms of experience I agree there is a (non-quantifiable) feel with the latex tubes that I don't get when using the Supersonics, even if they are very thin and the same weight. I ride the latex tubes both with and without rim tape in two different sets of carbon wheels (Mavic and Fulcrum) and cannot tell them apart but what is clear (in my head, at least) is that the latex tubes make various tire brands feel very soft and smooth on the not-so-good-pavement around here. For reference the rims are C17 (the alu wheels are C18) and I run 25mm tires. Even with the now fitted Conti 4-Season tires everything feels very smooth and super nice rolling.

On top of this 'feel' thing I have had significantly fewer flats, so I have already stocked up on the Vredestein for the next season :D

nickf

by nickf

Vredestein latex tubes have been hands down the most durable, longest lasting latex tube I have used. Bontrager, Michelin, Vittoria, Challange, none last as long as the verd. Many of them fail at the seam or base of the valve. This is on multiple wheels.

Hex

by Hex

nickf wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:45 pm
Vredestein latex tubes have been hands down the most durable, longest lasting latex tube I have used. Bontrager, Michelin, Vittoria, Challange, none last as long as the verd. Many of them fail at the seam or base of the valve. This is on multiple wheels.

I cant say i have tried the others long enough, but the Vreds i used earlier last year have done me really well.

I guess that's the way I'll go again.

Hex

by Hex

happyon2wheels wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:01 pm
I run the Vredestein latex tubes in both carbon wheels and in my winter training alu ones. My spare tubes are always Conti Supersonic as I find them less fragile when in the jersey pocket.

In terms of experience I agree there is a (non-quantifiable) feel with the latex tubes that I don't get when using the Supersonics, even if they are very thin and the same weight. I ride the latex tubes both with and without rim tape in two different sets of carbon wheels (Mavic and Fulcrum) and cannot tell them apart but what is clear (in my head, at least) is that the latex tubes make various tire brands feel very soft and smooth on the not-so-good-pavement around here. For reference the rims are C17 (the alu wheels are C18) and I run 25mm tires. Even with the now fitted Conti 4-Season tires everything feels very smooth and super nice rolling.

On top of this 'feel' thing I have had significantly fewer flats, so I have already stocked up on the Vredestein for the next season :D
Thanks for the input. I think ill have to go latex and be done with it. Looks like i can use some sealant to help with repairability on the go!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Looks like Vredestein is the lightest. Could someone confirm that it's 49 grams?
My 19-24mm Vittoria latex tube is 70 grams and 25-28mm tube is 90 grams.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

donald

by donald

I have used the Vredestein for years they run between 48 to 53 grams. I also use the Eclipse tubes, they run around 31 to 32 grams but are expensive. I also use The Tubolito thermoplatic tubes, which I really like, they run around 38 to 39 grams.

Hex

by Hex

donald wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:38 pm
I have used the Vredestein for years they run between 48 to 53 grams. I also use the Eclipse tubes, they run around 31 to 32 grams but are expensive. I also use The Tubolito thermoplatic tubes, which I really like, they run around 38 to 39 grams.
Oh! You use tubolito? How do they compare in feel to the latex vreds?

Hex

by Hex

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:06 am
Looks like Vredestein is the lightest. Could someone confirm that it's 49 grams?
My 19-24mm Vittoria latex tube is 70 grams and 25-28mm tube is 90 grams.
I can echo Donald's post on the Vredestein's weight: 50-53 in my experience.

donald

by donald

Hex, I like the Tubolito better than the Vredestein latex. They have a good feel although the difference is subtle and they are much lighter. I also think they are more durable.

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Where are you guys buying the Turbolito and Vredestein latex tubes from? Where's the best deal for them?

Thanks.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

donald

by donald

I bought a bunch of Vredesteins many years ago from WesternBikeworks I'm not sure if they still sell them. You can get Tubolito's from fairwheel bikes.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Some how my Vredestein loses air faster than any other latex i've tried.
Michelin lose slowest (it is also the thickest, coincident?)

Anyway, I notice that some of my latex tube sticks to the tire after a while. Some tire are porous, whilesome tire are pretty airtight which the surface where air still can leak reduce a lot in this case.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com