Shimano R8000 Front derailleur shifting Q?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Shifting up and down on the chainrings are fine, actually pretty smooth BUT shifting down does make one hell of a racket. Is that normal?

I'm pretty sure when I was running my campy Chorus FD, the downshift never made that much noise against the frame.
Hard to express in words and video doesn't show the noise echoing through the frame, the downshift from Large ring to small ring is....click, CLICK, SLAM....

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Boshk wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:17 pm
Shifting up and down on the chainrings are fine, actually pretty smooth BUT shifting down does make one hell of a racket. Is that normal?

I'm pretty sure when I was running my campy Chorus FD, the downshift never made that much noise against the frame.
Hard to express in words and video doesn't show the noise echoing through the frame, the downshift from Large ring to small ring is....click, CLICK, SLAM....

Same frame? If not, then some frames do seem to resonate more than others. If so, then it could be a combo of both the strength of the spring in Shimano vs. Campy, and how their trim adjustments function. Not sure about your respective parts but some front shifters kind of shift down through one or more intermediate trim steps before hitting the innermost position, which prevents the derailleur from picking up so much momentum. Others that go all the way in one pop really do pick up a lot of speed.

Also, how much the derailleur is halted by the limit screw vs. cable tension can play a role. With looser cable tension, there is nothing to slow the spring driven push of the derailleur until it slams against the limit screw. With more cable tension, the increasing tension in the cable as the derailleur reaches the end of its range can give you a softer stop.

And lastly, in your vid you are not actually shifting the chain. Under normal riding conditions, the derailleur has to overcome the resistance and tension of the chain, which will also make the movement less violent.

In any event, assuming it shifts fine and is adjusted to spec, then I wouldn't worry about it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Theologian

by Theologian

I just upgrade to r8000 groupset and mine does a similar thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Boshk

by Boshk

thanks guys