Advice Needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

Sorry if this is a dumb question. What is the max weight I should go for. New to riding. Thanks!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

:welcome: "Max weight" of what?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

About 75-80kg, above that you can only ride in the flat.

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:36 am
:welcome: "Max weight" of what?
Sorry I meant a bike in general.

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

Marin wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:10 am
Many thanks, that's really useful to know.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Not easy to say, as there is no defined 'max weight' and the weight of a bike is very dependent on cost. If you are looking for a road bike I would say 10kg max... anything above 9kg is getting pretty heavy though.
It all depends on your budget.

RJL

by RJL

BradJenkins wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 pm
Marin wrote:
I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for. It sounds like you're buying a bike to get started and wondering how heavy is too heavy so you can rule out a few options. Is that right?

There are so many variables depending on the type of bike, what sort of riding you plan to do and how much you have to spend, but if you're just testing the waters of cycling it's probably not worth shelling out for something that's particularly lightweight just to get into it. Assuming you're buying a road bike, anything under 9.0-10kg will be fine for a beginner. That's not WW territory, but in my opinion it's not worth getting too hung up on grams when you're starting out. That can come later.

Lots of modern road bikes weigh less than that out of the box, but so do plenty of beautiful old steel roadies that can be had secondhand. They can be a pleasure to ride and a great way to start out. Just my 2c.

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

Many thanks, that's very useful to know.
What material? I'm thinking carbon fibre will be too expensive for me.
REGICYCLE wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:31 am
Not easy to say, as there is no defined 'max weight' and the weight of a bike is very dependent on cost. If you are looking for a road bike I would say 10kg max... anything above 9kg is getting pretty heavy though.
It all depends on your budget.

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

Many thanks. This is very useful.
RJL wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:38 am
BradJenkins wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:16 pm
Marin wrote:
I'm not sure that's the answer you're looking for. It sounds like you're buying a bike to get started and wondering how heavy is too heavy so you can rule out a few options. Is that right?

There are so many variables depending on the type of bike, what sort of riding you plan to do and how much you have to spend, but if you're just testing the waters of cycling it's probably not worth shelling out for something that's particularly lightweight just to get into it. Assuming you're buying a road bike, anything under 9.0-10kg will be fine for a beginner. That's not WW territory, but in my opinion it's not worth getting too hung up on grams when you're starting out. That can come later.

Lots of modern road bikes weigh less than that out of the box, but so do plenty of beautiful old steel roadies that can be had secondhand. They can be a pleasure to ride and a great way to start out. Just my 2c.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

Carbon fibre is great if you can afford it but aluminium frames are often just as good as cheap carbon... as a complete bike at the entry level end of the spectrum, an aluminium frame will typically have better components and finishing kit than a similar priced carbon model. Tell us more about what type of bike you are after, what riding you (plan) to do, and your budget!

BradJenkins

by BradJenkins

great thank you...still looking will revert when have a clearer criteria
REGICYCLE wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:02 am
Carbon fibre is great if you can afford it but aluminium frames are often just as good as cheap carbon... as a complete bike at the entry level end of the spectrum, an aluminium frame will typically have better components and finishing kit than a similar priced carbon model. Tell us more about what type of bike you are after, what riding you (plan) to do, and your budget!

alcatraz

by alcatraz

You need to look over your priorities.

Speed isn't the same as low weight.

Do you see yourself riding a lot?

Are you heavy?

How many hours do you think your rides will last? Will you do mostly climbing or mostly flats? How much are you willing to sacrifice a little comfort for speed or lightweight?

What is your average speed today?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com