did i read somewhere that 11-speed cassettes are interchangeable between

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Campagnolo, and Shimano drive trains?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:50 am
Campagnolo, and Shimano drive trains?
The cog spacing is close enough that you can mix cassettes between each brand's 11-speed groups. However Campagnolo cassettes are not compatible with Shimano HG freehub bodies and vice-versa.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@TobinHatesYou's correct. Freehub bodies are the major culprits in 11s cassette compatibility, XD and 10/11s HG deserve a mention too. There are several edge cases when you can use 11s HG cassette on 10s HG freehub body (i.e. Ultegra 11-34) or remove some material to fit 11s HG cassette to 10s HG body. Basically, you have to make sure your freehub body is compatible with the cassette or your rear hub has a compatible replacement available.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

so a shimano wheel and a Campy wheel would have the same dish?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Catagory6 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:37 am
so a shimano wheel and a Campy wheel would have the same dish?

Yes, because the hubshell and OLD will be the same width.

AJS914

by AJS914

Different brands of hubs though may not line up perfectly. You might have to fine tune the derailleur if you swap in a different wheel.

Graeme, the Campy service rep who posts here has said that the 12-25 will be the closest between Campy and Shimano. As the cassettes get larger, they are less and less similar.

ooo

by ooo

there are hubs which can be used with both types of freehub body (campa and shimano)
'

themidge

by themidge

^ What kind/brand of hubs? That sounds interesting.

To echo what everyone else has said though, yep, worry more about freehub-cassette compatibility than cassette-groupset. At least on 11 speed, on 10 speed shimano and sram are compatible, but IIRC campagnolo is definitely not.

Edit: if you have a cassette with enough 'free' sprockets, you might be able to use some spacers to improve the spacing a bit, but it still won't be perfect.

wingguy

by wingguy

themidge wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:33 pm
^ What kind/brand of hubs? That sounds interesting.
Edco make one - Tacx have used it on their direct drive turbo trainers. Can’t think of any others off the top of my head, but they could be out.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If greame from velotech saw this he would disagree as do I. the spacing is close enough but not the same and while you will shift it just wont be as crisp as it should be. Thats why most hub manufacturers have not got cross compatible hub out.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup... close doesn’t get the cigar. It may get you a job in government however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ooo

by ooo

https://www.bike24.com/p2282743.html - Campagnolo freehub body for some Hope hubs with shimano stock freehub
https://www.bike24.com/p2223688.html - Campagnolo freehub body for some Novatec hubs with shimano freehub
https://www.bike24.com/p2127139.html - Campagnolo freehub body for some Stans NoTube 3.30 hubs

non-disc hubs:
Hope RS4 road (older model Mono RS)
Novatec F482SB, FS62CB
Stans NoTube 3.30R

disc hubs:
Hope RS4 disc (older model Pro 2, Pro 3)
Novatec D412SB (older model D772SB)
Stans NoTube 3.30RD (QR only?)
'

RyanH

by RyanH

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:42 pm
If greame from velotech saw this he would disagree as do I. the spacing is close enough but not the same and while you will shift it just wont be as crisp as it should be. Thats why most hub manufacturers have not got cross compatible hub out.
Calnago wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:42 pm
Yup... close doesn’t get the cigar. It may get you a job in government however.
This. I'm surprised at how many people keep parroting that Campy shifts "great!" with a Shimano or Red cassette. No, it doesn't...at least not as well as a Campy cassette will shift. Indexing will suffer on either the lower or upper cogs and can in some circumstances (like shifting under load) catch the next cog which is hugely frustrating. Now, some may say you shouldn't be shifting under load BUT, if you put the right cassette back on, it handles it with aplomb.

beeatnik

by beeatnik

But Ryan, I run an Ultegra 11-28 cassette on my best shifting Campy set up. Go figure. Or maybe Freddie is a mad genius.

wintershade

by wintershade

I also recently put a Shimano (Zipp 404 NSW) hub/cassette on one of my Campy bikes running Chorus. I've always had problem getting that bike dialed in right (with the two sets of Campy wheels Zondas and Boras I usually have on it). Now with the Shimano cassette on there (11-28 Ultegra) shifts better than ever. Go figure....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com