Bontrager Ballista Shoe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

The new Aero one, my inner geek is craving it...anyone had one in hand yet? The want is there but I can’t help but think they’d be a downgrade overall from Empire SLX’s? (Having never owned a Bontrager product this might be just silly talk?)

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

I’ve had 2 pairs of Bontrager shoes and they fit differently to any Giro I’ve worn so it may be a no-go simply due to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Ah, that might be ‘em out already then, I feel like the Giro’s are the first shoe that really fit me :lol:

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

The bontrager road shoes have a super big/wide toe box. Marketed towards the middle America foot. Made in China, but the soles are decent. Definitely go to a Trek shop and try some on. They are pretty huge.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah if you fit Giro really well you'll probably find the Bontragers really (too?) wide. Incredibly comfortable if you can fit them. They seem to be a similar to Shimano E fit if that helps as a reference?

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

I just picked up a pair last night. They run narrow and i had to go half a size up. Very light shoes in the hand although I don't have a scale. Not the stiffest sole but should be good enough.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Must be a different last than the XXX if you had to size up. The Bontrager XXX and Suplest Edge 3 are the only two shoes I’ve tried where I had to size down from 44.5/45 to 44.

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

The XXX had a Clarino material and had a wider toe box. I had the XXX in 42 and they were too big so Bontrager did something with the design on the ballista. The aero aspect might be why. I like the smooth front surface of the shoes with no velcro or even boa on the sides.

Bontrager should be coming out with a new XXX soon. I noticed that alot of the sizes are out of stock.

Kiel Reijnen has been wearing the new XXX. You can find pictures of them if you look hard enough.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Cheers all, I’m going to try and get to a shop and see what the fit is like!

jeepntrek

by jeepntrek

both my bontrager foray mtb shoes and my bontrager velocis road shoes ran small in comparison to average athletic shoes, both requiring me to go a half size bigger and order the wide version of both. i would never describe bontragers as “roomy”

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

So after riding with these shoes for a couple of rides, I decided to return them for a couple of reasons:
1. Not enough ventilation: My feet got hot after only 10 minutes in these shoes.
2. Fit: Could never get my feet to settle in. The boa on the back would not get tight enough.

This might be a good shoe for cooler weather but I wouldn't recommend them.

Also, I ended up getting a good deal on some Bontrager XXX instead and what a difference!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com