looking for a new handlebar

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

here are the specs i'm interested in:

reach - 73 to 78mm
drop - 125mm (+/-)
width - 42cm c-c

ideally the tops would be oval/aero-ish, and the drops would be anatomical-ish. no internal routing necessary (better without it)
material carbon or aluminum. doesn't matter

weight - well, this IS weight weenies after all

what are your thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

Flare is pretty noticable to me. It also affects hood or drop C-C width. So is drop length. I switch between a bar with 0 flare and short drops and a FSA compact, and generally speaking I prefer the FSA shape. Not enough to switch bars, but I notice, sort of like hood shape.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

Finx

by Finx

I stumbled on a pair of Easton EC70 AX (flare) bars when test riding a gravel bike and fell in love with them.

I also tried a pair of the non-flare road bars on my RM-01 and those worked well for me too.

The E100 looks close to your spec (2mm long on the reach), but they are pretty light..
https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/details/e100-bar

Generally speaking, they are fairly wallet friendly too, at least compared to the competition.

Here is their full lineup.
https://www.eastoncycling.com/products/components/bars/

happyon2wheels

by happyon2wheels

I have come to like the Zipp Service Course SL70 bar, which iirc fits your spec exactly with about 1cm of flare in the drops (42cm bar is 44cm in the drops). Very nicely made and reasonably lightweight at 250g in 42cm.

The Beyond Black also looks really good.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

I have the S-works aerofly.
They fall within all those specs too and weigh 250g in 42cm width.

Love them so much more than the normal aluminium ones they replaced.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'll throw in another vote for Zipp.
I have the SL70 Aero and love them. I specificaly was looking for a little shorter reach and drop and something between anatomic and classic drops. I've also really grown to like the slight outword flare of the drops.

The only thing you may not like about Zipp's carbon bars [especially the Aero] is they probably won't work great for externally routed cables. There are no groves for the housing externally. Not that you can't do it, but they are designed for internal routing, and it's actually really well done and I had no problems routing the cables from the hoods to the stem.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TLN

by TLN

I second erofly, however I got issues with routing Red Hydro. On rim brake group there're two option for routing brakes (or shifter), but with hydro cables go to same direction. Aerofly holes are very small to route both cables (shifter + hydro), and I ended up getting 3T Aeronova instead.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

Catagory6

by Catagory6

thanks for all the replies.

found a pretty amazing price on a deda superleggera. specs seem spot on. except for the round tops, but no big deal.

WILLIAMDENYS

by WILLIAMDENYS

buy some vision metron 4d handlebars theyre not the lightest but are sooooo good
- ridley fenix sl 105 - not lightweight
- sworks tarmac sl 5 r8050 di2 - vision tc 24 wheels = 7,1kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Catagory6 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 pm
here are the specs i'm interested in:

reach - 73 to 78mm
drop - 125mm (+/-)
width - 42cm c-c

ideally the tops would be oval/aero-ish, and the drops would be anatomical-ish. no internal routing necessary (better without it)
material carbon or aluminum. doesn't matter

weight - well, this IS weight weenies after all

what are your thoughts?
It's a mess with handlebars from what i feel.
First, if the drop is to be right on, one need to know if it's measured with the top section horizontal or angled down.
Example, 3T Superergo spec is 77mm reach, 119mm drop. This bar is designed as angled down. If you move the bar so it's horizontal, the drop increase and you get 130-132mm.

Next thing, when you fit the shifters, it's also a question on how the shifter is seated to get a nice flow when moving hands.
I prefer handlebars that is designed for a horizontal top section. When the shifters are mounted, the low point of the brake levers should level with the drop handles.

Salsa Cowbell fit me really well ( a pity the new carbon version is not lighter).
I also like the discontinued Easton EC90 Aero. Shifters position and how the flow is between shifter position and how i move is superb.
The new Eastons, not same sadly

Many bars have too long reach IMO. Also wish more bars had a compact drop (and reach), as Salsa Cowbell.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.