Campagnolo Record direct mount brake clearance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

silvalis

by silvalis

Does anyone know if the Record series direct mount brakes will clear a 28mm tyre on a 19mm rim (so, I guess, ~30mm actual tyre).

Or do I need to go to the new angular non-series 12s caliper that states 28mm compatibility?
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I can't help with DM but the new 12s don't seem any better than the old for single mount. I measured them to be worse. I had only 1mm on top of 27mm tubs (sides had plenty but my fork has a very low placed hole). Bought the new and it won't work at all! Luckly I decided to return to 25 as I like the handling best.

mag

by mag

Very rough clearance measurements for now, may be able to provide more accurate ones once I get a hold of some good Vernier caliper again (within a week or so).

25C tyres (IRC tubeless), 19mm IW rim (actual tyre width is about 26mm), those new DM brakes (BR19-DMx):

Front: 13mm top, 8mm at closest points (around brake mounts)
Rear: 10mm top, 6mm at closest points (around brake mounts)

I think it can be fine for 30mm tyres, but it will also depend on the frame & fork and their exact brake mount point positions.

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm getting a Chapter2 Rere which means I need to switch to DM brakes. Was hoping to keep it in the family with the record brakes. I noted in the no love for DM thread calnago wasn't too keen on the feel of the record dm's.

I actually would only run 25mm tyres on it (on an 18 or 19 rim) but since the bike has clearance for 28, might as well.

Might have to go for the non series 12s DM brakes though. Thanks for the measurements.
Chasse patate

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The height of a IRC 25mm tubeless formula Pro tyre on a 19mm internal with rim is about 22mm. If you can't clear that you have problems.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

silvalis wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:40 pm
I'm getting a Chapter2 Rere which means I need to switch to DM brakes. Was hoping to keep it in the family with the record brakes. I noted in the no love for DM thread calnago wasn't too keen on the feel of the record dm's.
I have them on my Concept and V1-r and IMHO the quality is just as good as the standard Record calipers, and I actually prefer the feel. It took me a while to warm to the look but now I quite like their rather industrial appearance. Fine tuning the pad spacing with the little screws is a cinch too.

I only use 25mm tyres so I can't really answer your original question but there is loads of excess clearance on both bikes.

silvalis

by silvalis

hmmm maybe EEbrakes

That's blowing out the budget though.
Chasse patate

moonoi

by moonoi

silvalis wrote:hmmm maybe EEbrakes

That's blowing out the budget though.

Seem to remember that Eebrakes aren't compatible with the c2 rere

Edit: indeed they are not, you can use Shimano or SRAM DM brakes without issue, Campag is only compatible with sizes M, L & XL, TRP T980 also works, but eebrakes are not compatible at all

silvalis

by silvalis

aww you're right it's on the website.
Chasse patate

moonoi

by moonoi

At least you saved yourself some $$$$

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

silvalis wrote:I'm getting a Chapter2 Rere which means I need to switch to DM brakes. Was hoping to keep it in the family with the record brakes. I noted in the no love for DM thread calnago wasn't too keen on the feel of the record dm's.

I actually would only run 25mm tyres on it (on an 18 or 19 rim) but since the bike has clearance for 28, might as well.

Might have to go for the non series 12s DM brakes though. Thanks for the measurements.
Just noticed this. It’s more that I didn’t think the Record DM brakes seemed on the same level of quality as the current skeleton brakes etc. Sort of like a stop gap measure to have some DM brakes in the lineup at least until they released something else. What about the current brakes in the 12sp Group. The calipers are backwards compatible. I haven’t tested them out yet however but I hope they’re at least the same quality and feel as the ones they’re replacing.
Truth is, I still prefer std mount rim brakes over DM, at least for rims up to about 25mm external width or so. I don’t know about wider than that since I’ve never used any with brake tracks that wide. Both Campy and Shimano specify the same tire clearance regardless of whether you use their std mount or Direct mount rim brakes. I just prefer not having the two drilled and threaded alloy inserts being part of the frame, especially since I can’t perceive any performance advantage of the Direct Mounts. I think we should have either just standard mounts or disc brakes and be done with it. Direct Mount brakes were developed for under BB chainstay mounts for the aero benefit, but the practical downsides far outweighed any aero benefits, real or imagined. So that application has largely gone the wayside thank goodness.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

silvalis

by silvalis

I wasn't too keen on the new angular aesthetic of the new ones, but it's definitely an option - and avoids any clearance issues I guess. I noted you mention the Record DMs weren't as smooth (I guess directly felt in the lever pull?). Will have to see if the new ones are smoother (better cable path or bearing/bushings?

Was considering waiting for the disc Rere, but had a few time constraints and also this is a frame swap (although I was thinking of new wheels)
Chasse patate

tmchen

by tmchen

Need some help here.
I am contemplating on getting a new Emonday ALR 2019 and moving my Chorus pre 2015 grpset over.
As the frameset uses DM, I am kind of lost as in which one to get. One has Campy Record and the other has only Campy printed on it.
There is also quite a big difference in price and weight between the 2 versions. Which one will perform better braking wise? I cant seem to find any reviews for it.
TIA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

tmchen wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:52 am
Need some help here.
I am contemplating on getting a new Emonday ALR 2019 and moving my Chorus pre 2015 grpset over.
As the frameset uses DM, I am kind of lost as in which one to get. One has Campy Record and the other has only Campy printed on it.
There is also quite a big difference in price and weight between the 2 versions. Which one will perform better braking wise? I cant seem to find any reviews for it.
TIA
"Campagnolo Direct" is the Potenza level brakes. These are made in Taiwan and are solid. A bit heavier.

The other is the Record/Super Record level. These are made in Italy and are skeleton. Lighter.

Can't speak much about the performance. I have a set of the Record brakes but they're still in the box and I decided not to get the C64 frameset they were originally intended for. Happy to move them on for a good price if you are interested. Might work very well for you if you're in the 'states or Europe, since I just want to recover my AU$ back and it's not worth much quite as much as it used to be anymore :lol: PM me if you like