SRAM Red shift spring broke.

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

When riding last week the spring that holds the shift lever behind the brake lever broke, right shifter. It still shifts fine since the return spring is fine. My temporary fix is a rubber band wrapped around the brake and shift lever. The long term fix is two parts. I ordered just the spring alone but I had to order from China. I also bought a new right side shifter and will put that one this week and fix the other shifter and sell it once I get the spring. FWIW I’m still on 10 speed.

Anyone else have this spring break?
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have never heard of that spring failing. Bound to happen eventually.

I am a poster child for heavy use of Sram drive trains and the only spring I have broken was on an early generation Red derailleur - two in fact. That was a known issue.

I am most surprised that the shifter ratchet mechanisms haven't failed on any of my sets. I live in rolling terrain, ride a ton, and shift constantly. It's a good design I guess.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.