Vision Metron 5D / Zipp Bar Stem Combo ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
matrix

by matrix

Can anyone here give an honest review on the Vision Metron 5D ? How is the fit? I'm aware that there is a 10 degree forward bend. I've been given the ok to go with either a 100/110mm stem on my next build from my fitter, but don't want to go through the trouble of ordering the wrong thing from the shop. I should also mention I like to ride in an aggressive slammed position, but would like to be able to climb long distances as well.

My other alternative to this would be the Zipp Sprint Stem and Aero SL70 bar combo. Slightly less aero with the ugly exposed cables.

Bike build : Pinarello F10, Bora 50 Wheels, and Campy EPS + SRM :). pics to come

by Weenie

lyj0715

by lyj0715

vision metron 5d looks cooler but the finich is not that slick

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

I had two Vision Metron 5D integrated bars crack on me on different bikes. The first had around 100 miles on it while the second less than 50. No more Vision carbon for me! And no I'm not some heavy guy. My weight fluctuates from 159-170 lbs. I still have the replacement 5D bar on my Bianchi but ended up picking up the new Enve aero bar and stem for my De Rosa. The combo is super comfortable, with an extremely configurable stem, and beautiful.
Attachments
v.jpg
2018 Bianchi Oltre XR4, (Celeste Matt)
2018 De Rosa SK Pininfarina (Blu)
2019 Trek Madone SLR (Rage Red)
2019 Giant TCR Advanced SL (Chameleon Blue)
2019 Giant Revolt Advanced 0

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would always go for a combo. I can't stand the idea of not being able to move the handlebar to the position i prefer.
Imagine different fork angles angle the bar differently.
Ex: 73.5 - 73 - 72.5
Not to mention people prefer slightly different.
If you drop the bike and crack one bar handle, you'd need to change the whole combo.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

matrix

by matrix

Thanks for the insight. The biggest selling point for me right now is the fact that the Vision 5D has a face plate that can be used to hide my fugly EPS v3 junction box. I loathe the rubber band and wish there was a cleaner solution. Running the zipp aero 70/ beefy sprinter stem combo would probably risk snapping the rubber band over time as well.

by Weenie

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

I use the Pro Vibe stem / aero handlebar combo. Very comfortable and pretty nice looking. I believe it is designed with Di2 integration in mind (I use it with mechanical so I cannot comment there), but it may also be helpful for EPS.