SRAM Red eTap FD chain drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I run the Rotor rings with my etap and found that I would get more chain over the outer with the oval rings and its always in the middle of the rear cogs when it does happen. I also found that if I run the 38 Rotor inner mixed with an Absolute Black 52 outer that the jump from one isnt as big, as the Rotor has more ovality if thats a word than the Absolute Black. I believe the Oval rings present more opportunity for that fd to dump the chain over the outer. I normally try to shift the fd at a certain angle in the pedal stroke to avoid that situation.

Also when I ride the rollers it seems non of my bikes shift small to big ring as well as out on the road and I would imagine the trainer is not that much better for shifting fd. I know when setting up the shifting in the shop and you actually ride outside it never seems to be the same.

One other thing I have been thinking is would a 12sp chain work better with the fd to keep it from dumping? My thoughts are not likely as the fd still needs to be set tight and maybe wouldnt make the difference. I think I might try it on my next chain to see if its worth doing.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaMaDo

by DaMaDo

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm
I suggest that you get your bike back and call Sram yourself. If the shop has to call Sram then the shop is just an unnecessary middleman.
I thought that SRAM won't deal with consumers, only retailers.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

DaMaDo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:50 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:02 pm
I suggest that you get your bike back and call Sram yourself. If the shop has to call Sram then the shop is just an unnecessary middleman.
I thought that SRAM won't deal with consumers, only retailers.
Correct. Sram is not going to offer any help to the end user. They are responsive and fast when dealing with dealers though.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:42 am

Correct. Sram is not going to offer any help to the end user. They are responsive and fast when dealing with dealers though.

For major service / warranty issues, I'm okay with it. On the other hand I've just lost the little rubber cover/plug on one of my HRD calipers (flew off on a ride,) and it seems silly go through a dealer for such a small item.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Bit offtopic but how can I ensure I won't break the battery tab on my new etap batteries? What should I look out for? Clean surfaces?

Thanks /a

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:10 am
Bit offtopic but how can I ensure I won't break the battery tab on my new etap batteries? What should I look out for? Clean surfaces?

Thanks /a
A tiny bit of superglue between the two "halves" of the battery plastic at the tab.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Good tip, thanks Tobin.

Can you please post a photo showing where you mean?

sfo423

by sfo423

Quick Q; I am building an F10 disc w/eTap and was interested if most are opting for a chain catcher (w/their eTap builds)...regardless if you have had drop issues or not.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sfo423 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:02 pm
Quick Q; I am building an F10 disc w/eTap and was interested if most are opting for a chain catcher (w/their eTap builds)...regardless if you have had drop issues or not.

I would use a chain catcher with any groupset. You can’t pick up a chain that drops inside just by shifting the FD to the outboard position. Dropping a chain inside can also mangle your frame.

However inside chain drops aren’t the problem with eTap...it’s throwing the chain up and over the big ring that’s the problem because Yaw sucks and eTap’s temporary overshift makes it even worse.

ArtV

by ArtV

Chain drops have been a problem for me on long rides with steep hills and lots of front chainring shifts, even on mechanical Shimano systems. It may be a bit worse with Etap but I have done a full century with a bunch of front shifts on Etap with no drops. I went ahead and bought the Wickwerks Sentinel. It protects against the big problem, the drop over the outside of the big chain ring. One less thing to worry about.

ArtV

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

Never have drops on etap, primarily a climber
Fine tuned I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

ArtV

by ArtV

RedbullFiXX wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
What the heck? This is a thread for us 'chain droppers'. Are you just here to gloat?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

ArtV wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 pm
RedbullFiXX wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:44 pm
What the heck? This is a thread for us 'chain droppers'. Are you just here to gloat?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have had drops on Shimano mech, does that count ? :lol:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have just installed a chain catcher on my wifes bike with etap as she has had all of her chain drops on the inside but with my bike the chain drops are always outside. The difference is her bike has short chain stays were mine has long stays.
For some strange reason (knock on wood) on my new Colnago and new Absolute Black chain ring I have only had the chain come off the outside once. Someone posted earlier on this thread that the cause of the problem is the cage is not deep enough so I am sure my luck will run out soon.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Be careful with those Absolute Black chainrings. They don't have an anti-drop pin.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com