SRAM Red eTap FD chain drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:48 am
What works for me is a 6mm gap for cage height, having the yaw of the FD so the tail is .5mm closer to the frame rather than lined up with the chainring, and setting the high limit to the point where there is almost hesitation in the upshift...literally .1mm from rubbing the chain.
After putting up with chain throws for the last couple months (multiple times a ride), this is what finally fixed it for me. I angled my FD a few mm inboard towards the frame. The overshift is now what shifts the chain and voila, no more chain throws.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

RyanH wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:41 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
What works for me is a 6mm gap for cage height, having the yaw of the FD so the tail is .5mm closer to the frame rather than lined up with the chainring, and setting the high limit to the point where there is almost hesitation in the upshift...literally .1mm from rubbing the chain.
After putting up with chain throws for the last couple months (multiple times a ride), this is what finally fixed it for me. I angled my FD a few mm inboard towards the frame. The overshift is now what shifts the chain and voila, no more chain throws.
yup, that's what i did on my T1SL with the etap running QXL. didn't have to use a shim with the parlee FD mount and no drop chains on big or small. the only issue is i have to do a slight pause before upshifting or downshifting on the FD. haven't tried doing that on during load.. but a friend of mine that races in a team dumped the QXL and went rotor noQ with his etap setup.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

RyanH wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

And for anyone else messing with this, make sure there's clearance between the back of the crankarm and outer cage-plate or limit screws during the overshift. There is more overshift when in the largest cogs too, so perform the check from cogs 1-4.

I have to do this on my Emonda (and the one that got t-boned,) but on my Madone I have the FD lined up perfectly with the guide lines. Even the slightest difference in braze-on positioning wreaks havoc on SRAM FD set-up.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:19 pm
RyanH wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:

And for anyone else messing with this, make sure there's clearance between the back of the crankarm and outer cage-plate or limit screws during the overshift. There is more overshift when in the largest cogs too, so perform the check from cogs 1-4.

I have to do this on my Emonda (and the one that got t-boned,) but on my Madone I have the FD lined up perfectly with the guide lines. Even the slightest difference in braze-on positioning wreaks havoc on SRAM FD set-up.
This is really the bottom line with these. So dependent on front hanger. I have never experienced two front derailleur set-ups that were the same.......even on multiples of same make/model/size. Really frustrating and requires way too much time spent dialing in the front. Test ride..back on the stand. I like AXS so much better in this regard.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

zinedrei

by zinedrei

will a chain catcher help in this situation?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

zinedrei wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:35 am

My bikes have integrated chain catchers to prevent inside drops. These are outside throws and they occur when the chain lifts up and over the front half of the chainring. Wickwerks makes one, but I have doubts that it would actually work. Also in the event that the chain does get thrown, the chain catcher would probably prevent you from getting the chain back on with a simple downshift.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 am
zinedrei wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:35 am

My bikes have integrated chain catchers to prevent inside drops. These are outside throws and they occur when the chain lifts up and over the front half of the chainring. Wickwerks makes one, but I have doubts that it would actually work. Also in the event that the chain does get thrown, the chain catcher would probably prevent you from getting the chain back on with a simple downshift.
thanks for explaining. seems either it's a hanger thing then or an fd related one

addictR1

by addictR1

On my setup I did the total opposite. I went up high for my QXL and no issues with up or downshifts.

Didn’t use a shim or catcher. I don’t race so maybe that’s why I have experience chain drops maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

That is the highest set front derailleur I have ever seen...... Except for maybe an old mountain triple on a full suspension bike.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Jugi

by Jugi

addictR1 wrote:On my setup I did the total opposite. I went up high for my QXL and no issues with up or downshifts.
How does it measure from QXL's highest teeth? I have my FD with normal q-rings set so low, that the FD's cage just clears the highest teeth when moving between outboard and inboard position. When the FD is aligned just right, it gives a very secure shift 99% of time.

SlowMark

by SlowMark

Hi, this is my first post ob WeightWeenies and I have recently started following this thread.

I have a Canyon Ultimate with SRAM Force Etap AXS and have been suffering chain drops shifting to the smaller chainring; every time it has happened the chain has been in the middle of the rear cassette (i.e. not in the lowset gear/largest rear cog).

Last time it happened about 20 miles into a ride in the mountains and the chain ended up bending. I straightened it as best as I could but the drivetrain was noisy for the rest of the ride and the rear cassette was ghost shifting in some gears.

I have now replaced the chain and the local bike shop has checked everything over and said that the limit screws are correct (i.e. chain drop should be impossible).

The bent chain after a chain drop is worrying - these chains are not cheap and having to replace the chain after less than 500km on a brand new bike is disappointing. The experience has left me wondering if SRAM AXS chains are fragile (feels like they are made of butter) or if the flat top chain is a bad design.

Any suggestions on how to rectify this issue would be greatly appreciated.

addictR1

by addictR1

wheelbuilder wrote:That is the highest set front derailleur I have ever seen...... Except for maybe an old mountain triple on a full suspension bike.
Yea I know.. seems odd but I noticed in doing so no chain drops with QXL.
Jugi wrote:
addictR1 wrote:On my setup I did the total opposite. I went up high for my QXL and no issues with up or downshifts.
How does it measure from QXL's highest teeth? I have my FD with normal q-rings set so low, that the FD's cage just clears the highest teeth when moving between outboard and inboard position. When the FD is aligned just right, it gives a very secure shift 99% of time.
24.3mm... I had to angle the rear part of FD inward a bit.

Jugi

by Jugi

Am I hitting a language barrier? Oval's "lowest teeth" are pretty much at the number 3 position of an Rotor oval as you have pictured. The highest teeth are 90° away. What is the measurement from those to the FD cage?

addictR1

by addictR1

Ops.. it’s about 9.5mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greg0rE

by Greg0rE

I know chain catchers have been debated a few times before, but wondered if anyone had experiences with running any of the following over the SRAM one (00.7618.013.000):

1) Rotor Pro Issue Chain Catcher
https://velotechservices.co.uk/shop/vcl ... 00002&fo=1

2) Absolute Black Road Chain Catcher
https://absoluteblack.cc/road-chain-catcher-braze-on/

Running a Red eTap AXS with Rotor ALDHU on Rotor SRAM AXS compatible 48/35t Oval Rings