Canyon Aeroad disc to gravel bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ih8brocoli

by ih8brocoli

Would i be able to push gravel tires on an aeroad cf slx disc?

Or would i need something like 650b wheels?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

r u high bro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

aero gravel to the next level
yeah man

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Why would you expect to be able to run wide gravel tires on an aero road bike? As I recall 25 mm tires is the officially recommended maximum while some 28 mm tires works as well depending on rim width. Considering how tight the chainstays are 650B wheels won't make any difference.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=149950

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Theres a better chance Donald Trump ends up on Mount Rushmore.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Gancherov

by Gancherov

Looks like one guy managed to get 32mm Hutchinson Sector tires to fit on the stock Reynolds 17C wheels...

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1385370
dcorn wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:43 pm
I got multiple flats in my rear tire out riding this past weekend, so if I get bored while changing out the tube, I might throw the 32mm tire on the rear wheel and see if it fits. It would be a first attempt at tubeless on the Reynolds wheels.

My friend that I was riding with has 28mm contis on HED belgiums and the tires are HUGE. They are on a rim brake Seven and there is maybe 1mm between the tire and rear brake caliper. He's been riding like that for a while though with no problems. Makes me wonder if I even need tires that big, or if my 32s are maybe close to the size of his 28s.

**EDIT**

OK, I got bored tonight and decided to swap the tires out. I have a pair of Hutchinson Sector 32s on some Stans Grail wheels for my Crux so I could ride on the road while my Tarmac was down for the count all last season. Figured I'd try those out on the rear wheel since I already knew the 32 would fit on the front. Success!! The Sectors mounted on the stock Aeroad Reynolds wheels measured only 30mm wide, but that made them fit perfectly in the frame constraints. No problem with the height in the rear seattube cutout either. These tires are now fully mounted up and ready to ride this weekend. 8)

Oh, and Bordcla, I mounted them tubeless with the supplied valve stems. Tires went on the wheels with absolutely no problems, but took a compressor to catch and inflate.

Marin

by Marin

30mm makes a good all-purpose bike. You should be good on fine gravel and low to medium speeds, but will be limited on faster descents on coarser stuff.

Tubeless is essential and will really broaden the spectrum regarding how much the bike can handle.

Actually, I'm sure it's possible to build a very aero road bike with 40mm clearance. The problem is that noone would buy gravel bikes anymore if such a thing existed.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

As I learned, just because you can clear a tire for gravel, doesn't mean you should. 1 had about 1mm of seat stay clearance on my bike with 43mm tires, the sand and other grit cleaned the paint right off. Not a big deal on a 'commodity' AL CX frame, but a big deal on a princess bike. Obviously, you're better off with an Aero bike and a beater endurance/gravel 2nd bike, which is probably the ideal 2- road bike garage. If you're trying to do a dry endurance ride with some soft-road sections, I don't think running true 30c / fat 28c would be a big issue.
Actually, I'm sure it's possible to build a very aero road bike with 40mm clearance. The problem is that no one would buy gravel bikes anymore if such a thing existed.
Isn't the point of owning an aero bike is knowing you've left nothing on the table?
You could build a fat tire aero bike, but a test will show that it's a few W off ruining it. I bet if you tested with 2 std water bottles and a pedaling dummy rider, you might be on par or better. I'd be interesting to see the 3T Exploro with aero bars running wide/deep wheels and something like a 35c GravelKings.

Marin

by Marin

I meant, one bike with 2 wheel sets. I don't think we'll see properly aero rims for 40mm tires soon

TLN

by TLN

Marin wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:39 am
30mm makes a good all-purpose bike. You should be good on fine gravel and low to medium speeds, but will be limited on faster descents on coarser stuff.

Tubeless is essential and will really broaden the spectrum regarding how much the bike can handle.

Actually, I'm sure it's possible to build a very aero road bike with 40mm clearance. The problem is that noone would buy gravel bikes anymore if such a thing existed.
30mm is pretty wide for "all round", I guess when most people say gravel here threy mean exactly that: less then perfect side road.
Cannondale systemsix comes with 31-32mm wide wheels, so 28c tires will be about 32c, and that sounds very comfy. seatstays are already very wide on systemsix, chainstays/fork is less so.
It also looks that bigger clearance is a plus from aero dynamics perspective, if everything else is done right.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

dcorn

by dcorn

That's my Aeroad above. I've put over 1000 miles on those tires. The only time I've ever heard a rock possibly hit part of the frame/fork is last weekend when I rode past some contruction/paving and I think a small piece of asphalt got stuck on the tire. Didn't sound bad, I didn't even bother to check if the paint was messed up.

Soon after I put these tires on, I did a road race where each lap (3) had about a mile section of gravel road. No issues with clearance there either, and the ride was very comfortable.

The only change I'd like to make is to get wider wheels. The stock Reynolds wheels are only 17mm wide internally and it'd be nice to have something at least 20mm to minimize the lightbulb-ness of the tire on the wheel.

Marin

by Marin

Going 20 internal might make the tires too tall for the frame though.

AndreaDemelas

by AndreaDemelas

Hallo, Anyone had trying aeroad disc with gravel tyres of 30mm?
It is not to much expensive and I would use it only few time in winter like alternative on the road.
Thank you and happy new year

Marin

by Marin

Why not? You can take any road bike on a gravel road, and the wider the tires are the better the ride will be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com