Ritchey "integrated fork crown" ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pathohisto

by pathohisto

I just received a new Ritchey WCS Carbon Road Fork, model 2018 (https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... d%5B7%5D=1) for my road frame which is designed for an integrated headset (45 x45° Campa) in combination with Ritchey WCS drop-in headsets (SHIS: IS42/30) and a steerer diameter of 1-1/8".

There is a sticker on the fork saying "integrated crown race". However, there is no metal ring at the fork cone area, just carbon. Also, the fork cone area looks different on the Ritchey web page: https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/headset-fork-crown. There is no metal ring but just a broad "carbon shoulder" (see attached pictures). Also, the lower drop-in headset does not sit well-proportioned on the lower end of the tube.

Would someone clarify for me what is going on here ?

Thanks,
Christoph
Attachments
schulter_2.jpg
Sticker_2.jpg
schulter mit Lager_2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If i were you, i would mail Ritchey support and check this.
Perhaps you'll get a replacement fork?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Please do check with Ritchey support but AFAIK the way you have it installed is correct. The 45deg carbon portion is the crown race, and the gap below the bearing is to avoid the frame and fork fouling on one another. I have two of these forks (rim and disc versions) and this is how they are installed. Much more elegant than hammering a metal race over a carbon steerer.

Google seems to suggest that there have been problems with some Swiss Cross framesets but I think that was to do with too little clearance rather than too much.

pathohisto

by pathohisto

Thanks guys. I dropped a message at Ritchey support some days ago but did not get a reply yet. I will keep you up to date...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Its an integrated crown race. It is right.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

mattr

by mattr

pathohisto wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:35 pm
There is a sticker on the fork saying "integrated crown race". However, there is no metal ring at the fork cone area, just carbon. Also, the fork cone area looks different on the Ritchey web page: https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/headset-fork-crown. There is no metal ring but just a broad "carbon shoulder" (see attached pictures).
Thats how it should be. Integrated means that you don't need the separate component (crown race). Allows for a stronger crown (less sharp angles).
pathohisto wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:35 pm
Also, the lower drop-in headset does not sit well-proportioned on the lower end of the tube.
It'd probably look something like that on a conventional fork, with a separate crown race. What does the bottom of the head tube/bearing/fork crown look like when it's all pressed together?
petromyzon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:06 am
and the gap below the bearing is to avoid the frame and fork fouling on one another.

pathohisto

by pathohisto

mattr wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 pm
It'd probably look something like that on a conventional fork, with a separate crown race. What does the bottom of the head tube/bearing/fork crown look like when it's all pressed together?
petromyzon wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:06 am
and the gap below the bearing is to avoid the frame and fork fouling on one another.
When it is all put and pressed together it feels quite right, there is a 2mm gap between the steering tube and the plateau of the fork (as mentioned by petromyzon).

I was just confused that the bearing sits directly on the carbon (never seen this) and that the area looks different as shown on the website and the tech drawing:
https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/media/itm/m ... 6-rake.pdf

rlpaul

by rlpaul

Integrated crowns are becoming a thing. Time started doing it (or was it Look?) a few years ago, and Cannondale has followed suit. Parlee also does it on their fork. This is the first time I've seen it on a Ritchey fork though.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Check if you have correct bearing as there are 2 different kind of 45’s. One with longer angled section and other with short. These both are 45 degrees.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^This. While there is no issue with the molded crown race (as was said, this has been the method of manufacture for a lot of forks for some years now, over 5 years for sure), I would double check to make sure you have the correct bearing for that fork as the bearing in the pic does seem to be sitting a little high.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

Does the 45 degree campag bearing come in 2 heights as well? I know some of them have a 7 and an 8mm.....

pathohisto

by pathohisto

TurboKoo wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 pm
Check if you have correct bearing as there are 2 different kind of 45’s. One with longer angled section and other with short. These are both 45 degrees.
IMHO there is only 1 kind of 45 degrees that comes in a WCS and a COMP version.
https://eu.ritcheylogic.com/eu_en/road-bike/headsets

I use this one:
https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... 7%5D=13485

I am getting more and more confused.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pathohisto

by pathohisto

I received a reply from Ritchey support:

"The fork on RL.com is the same spec, however it was the previous version with a steel shim @ the crown race area, which was later removed.

It’s compatible with WCS DROP IN INTEGRATED LOWER HEADSET.

It will look a bit unusual with the integrated crown race and not having that as a separate part, however the dimensions will work out to be the same as complete.

Regards.
Ritchey International - Warranty & Tech. Dept."