Bought a used Time Edge Translink. Many questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wlbm

by wlbm

Hello, finally going out of lurk mode, so please let me know if I break any rules of etiquitte

After riding an 80s steel 10 speed for many years, I finally found a deal on a carbon bike that I couldn't resist.

It is a 2007 Time Edge Translink (with an integrated seatpost) and Dura-ace groupo (8.2kg all told) that originally belonged to a pro who is my height (6'1"), that he sold to his buddy who is 6'4".

So of course the intermediate owner changed out the Time stem for a longer one (120mm Thomson X2 Elite) and put a shim/seatpost in to accomodate his height.

He didn't have either of the original parts any more, so I'm trying to get back to original spec but am having trouble finding info about how to do it. Manuals, or even basic blueprints seem to be nonexistant for Time, but maybe my google-fu is just bad.

He didn't cut down the ISP at all, so I think I can go back to using it. What options are there for a mast topper (?) that would work with this bike. How do I even measure what I need?

For the stem I threw a cheapo 90mm one in to bring the bars back towards me for the time being, and I've just lowered the seatpost down into the ISP to the correct height for me.

Is there a good source of NOS Time stems? I can find lots of modern ones on eBay, and some obvious knockoffs on alibaba, but there doesn't seem to be much out there for 12 year+ old parts. Maybe there are some French sellers that exist that I haven't been able to find?

One last thing: The wheels are DT Swiss Etrto 2.0, which I also can't find any real reference to online. Where do these wheels exist on the weight-weenie scale of being the correct calibre of wheel for this bike?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

Ebay is your best bet for older stems. I think most frames shipped with a 12cm stem so finding a 9cm stem might be kind of hard. Just keep waiting. Set up a saved search.

There aren't really seat toppers for the Translink. It's just an extended seat tube. The idea was to cut it the least amount possible in order to fit the bike but if it was cut too much it still works fine with a little extra seatpost showing. I think it's simply a regular 27.2mm seatpost in there.

wlbm

by wlbm

Thanks for the reply!

I'll keep a watch on eBay for a stem.

How did the seat attach to the integrated seatpost? I've looked at pictures online and from the few I can find it looks like some kind of topper or mast setup, but maybe there's just a short seatpost stuffed in the tube? I'm really having trouble figuring out what I'd need to get it back to stock.
Thanks again!

AJS914

by AJS914

You should have a seatpost clamp at the top of your translink/ISP tube. That should hold a standard 27.2mm seatpost and the saddle attaches to the post normally.

Last edited by AJS914 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

It sounds like you are missing the metal seatpost clamp. Or, you have something different than in those pics above?

wlbm

by wlbm

Thanks a million! Those pictures help immensely.

I was under the impression that there wasn't originally a seatpost in there, and it was some super lightweight racing setup with the saddle magically floating on top of the ISP.
The guy I bought it from had put a shim in to use a regular North American style seatpost as he said it was "A weird French size"

I've attached a picture of what the setup on my bike looks like for reference. I guess I'm good to just keep running with it as is, with the seatpost going way down into the translink module.
IMG_3461.JPG

AJS914

by AJS914

Looks good. I thought they were 27.2mm but maybe some came with a smaller diameter? I'd pull the seatpost to determine the exact size but riding with the shim should be fine.

I had a Time VXS. It's a bike I remember fondly. It handled great.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

I have a NOS Time stem in 100mm i believe as well as white Time carbon handlebars.
I can shoot some pics if you are interested.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would just forget the Time stem. Get a nice Deda or 3T and matching bars. (Or whatever bars/stem you like.) The Time stem works fine and the chunky size is kind of cool but I wouldn't pay 200 euros for one.

wlbm

by wlbm

strobbekoen: thanks for the opportunity! I’ve messaged you

kgt: thanks for the links! I didn’t know about that site. I’ll keep an eye on it. It’s a bit pricier than I was hoping though...

Ajs914: yes it really is a wonderful bike to ride. I am finding it hard to get a Time branded stem at a price I can stomach. There are some older ones (tho not quite right) on eBay in the $150-$200 range, but that’s still eye watering. I’ve created a saved search as you recommended and will try and snipe one if it comes up more in the $50-$100 range. Does something like this looks like a good deal if I give up on the Time stem? https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2336993/

I’ve also attached a picture of the bike for reference. Any thoughts on wheels for her that would stand up to rough Canadian roads?
Attachments
2007 Time Edge Translink
2007 Time Edge Translink

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wlbm

by wlbm

Small update. I got curious and measured the inside of the integrated seat post without the shim, and it appears to be almost 28mm. I don't have a set of calipers though, so I can't be absolutely sure